Coding qualifications requirements as an adult for employers

I am completely new to Coding. What type of coding is needing for the job market as an adult? I previously did an evening class years ago where we designed a basic mobile game app. Since then I obtained a Degree, but not in coding. Are there any companies in London or elsewhere that can train me online for example?

When you ask a question, don’t forget to include a link to the exercise or project you’re dealing with!

If you want to have the best chances of getting a useful answer quickly, make sure you follow our guidelines about how to ask a good question. That way you’ll be helping everyone – helping people to answer your question and helping others who are stuck to find the question and answer! :slight_smile:

First of all, I don’t understand why you imply a difference between “adult” coders and “non-adult” coders.
Your question is extremely broad so the answer is: It depends.

Do you want to become a Web Developer or a Data Scientist or a System Engineer? They require different skills and languages.

If you look for online resources, I can suggest the following:

• Codeacademy!
  • FreeCodeCamp
  • MOOCs like Coursera, EdX, etc.

In London, there are several coding boot camps online, remote, and mixed. This is the first result by searching “bootcamp London” on Google: https://www.switchup.org/rankings/best-bootcamps-london

Hope it help!

Hi @code0587049752, welcome to the forums!

It depends on what type of job you’re looking at because that would determine what level or amount of coding experience/understanding you would need. Are you switching careers? Broadly, are you interested in front end development, back end dev or data science, or even business analysis, perhaps? All of those jobs rely on different programming languages. I can suggest figuring out what interests you, looking at those job postings and see what they require and go from there. That way you’d have a better idea of what languages and areas to focus on studying and eventually creating things to add to your portfolio to show potential employers.

If you’re already employed and want to move around your company, see if they offer tuition reimbursement (some do encourage their employees that way) and enroll in a course that interests you. There’s free and pro content available here on Codecademy. Poke around and see if any of it piques your interests.

Thank you for both replies. Not fantastic with Math, although have Business & Management Degree. So need to upskill. Would need a course or job where Maths can be worked out on the programme with some / minimal effort from myself. Presently, on the beginning of the Codecademy site learning code. Also learning Python online as a starter. Had previously years ago learnt in evening class to design a mobile game. That was a long time ago. Now looking to restart in the Programming arena. My interest is in Research, so any jobs I look for would have a research element in it and working out the solutions.

Python is a great place to start (IMO)!

Take a look at the events page and you’ll see starting on 9/1 a live python tutorial on YouTube with CC. That might be helpful to you.

Happy coding! :slight_smile: