Codecademy Forums

Coded Communication Instructions

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python-3/informationals/python3-coded-communication

Working on this problem and in the top explanation it says Caesar’s cipher is an offset going to the left:

You take your message, something like "hello" and then you shift all of the letters by a certain offset. For example, if I chose an offset of 3 and a message of "hello", I would code my message by shifting each letter 3 places to the left (with respect to the alphabet)

However, the coded message to decipher and its offset of 10 are to the right:

xuo jxuhu! jxyi yi qd unqcfbu ev q squiqh syfxuh. muhu oek qrbu je tusetu yj? y xefu ie! iudt cu q cuiiqwu rqsa myjx jxu iqcu evviuj!

This message has an offset of 10.

If you go left it makes no sense.

(This isn’t even counting the fact that you probably have to have a degree in Math to solve it the puzzle.)

Jen

1 Like

what exactly is your question or problem? The offset can be anything between 1 and 25 in either direction.

the exercise url you provided doesn’t match your question

1 Like

Decoding the cipher will go the opposite way that encoding went.
I think this was your question at least?

4 Likes

First of all, I can’t link to the Jupytr notebook, which is why I linked to the download page.

Second, my issue was the instructions say the offset goes left but the solution requires it to go right.

Third, I was unable to complete this entire assignment because I spent an hour trying to figure out how to do the Caesar and Vigenère ciphers and never figured out the second one at all. This wasn’t a test of my programming skills. The instructions are poorly explained.

And there’s no “Get Help” button on the download page.

1 Like

:man_shrugging:
Programming can be frustrating. It often helps to step away for a bit if you have been on the same problem for a while. It will give you new perspectives.

1 Like

without more concrete examples its difficult to say anything about it

if you take 3 steps to the right, it take 3 steps to the left to get back to your original position. When same when encrypting (3 steps to the right) and decrypting (3 steps to the left)

I agree with fight_dragons, however, programming is mostly problem solving. Which can be very frustrating, it helps to learn how to deal with your frustration when solving a complicated problem.

1 Like

What I posted is the example. The first quote is the example given and the second quote is the puzzle. The offset direction is clearly given in the first quote. However, the puzzle requires it to be the opposite direction but it doesn’t say that.

That is my point.

Also, I worked for an hour on the Vigenère cipher by hand and could never even get the example to work out correctly.

Looking at the solution doesn’t actually help if you can’t decipher the question.

But never mind. I seem to be the only one working my way through Python 3.

2 Likes

the shift seems to be 16:

https://www.dcode.fr/caesar-cipher

you can even brute force the cipher on that website, quite useful.

3 Likes

I agree. The instructions are misleading. I was going left as well.

1 Like

Both excercises seem to be a variant of the procedure. I’ve taken a look to wikipedia for those two methods of “encryption” and there is similitude but definitively is not the same as follows in wikipedia.

To review if I’ve doing in a right way I had have to use some websites to compare: for example to decode the Vigenère Cipher:

Codecamy encryption:
dfc jhjj ifyh yf hrfgiv xulk? vmph bfzo! qtl eeh gvkszlfl yyvww kpi hpuvzx dl tzcgrywrxll!

Standard decryption using a random website:
you fugr doqd lc pmoyei ucgt? nice jaig! mgi mzq yrxphgod ulser the umcqip zy >qhxpjujofgu!
of course I’ve used the key to decode it.

*Only two words are decrypted correctly…

It’s a challenge I suppose that!

Hey there, It´s true, the first part of the project is worng explained. The offset is of 1 to the right, BUT, that´s the same as doing 16 to the left (which is way easier sience it lets you skip some conditionals coding). So, basically, yes, they sould certainly change those misleading instructions, but if you try to do it on paper and see that your code is not the problem you get to try to increase the offset until you see by how much did they miss the correct offset. Hope it makes any sense