Codecademy Pro, Student Discount

Dear Community and Codecademy,

My name is Will, and I am a middle school student currently enrolled at Postlewait Middle and Ceasar Rodney High School in Delaware. As a member of the Technology Student Association, I would like to learn how to code in depth. Although I have looked a other free options to learn, I originally started with Codecademy when it was still 100% free and became accustomed and somewhat attached to the way Codecademy teaches. However, although my family is not financially challenged, I don’t feel that I can pay $20.00 a month for Codecademy. I am not suggesting that learning to code with this amazing program is not worth it and should be free, although that would be nice, but I do think that there should be a discount. I was hoping that a Codecademy employee would read this and possibly be able to add a student discount to bring the price down, for students, to (in my mind) around $5.00 a month.

Thank you for you attention,
Will
An aspiring coder.

15 Likes

Hello,

Codecademy doesn’t give out discounts, however all the lessons are FREE to access, only the following is pro:

• Help from advisors
  • Quizzes
  • Projects

If you want to get in touch to a CC employer you can visit help section:

http://help.codecademy.com/

For those who cannot afford it,

You can get help here on Codecademy forums,
You can challenge yourself with your own projects.

2 Likes

To anyone at CodeCademy who wants your company to make more money - You’re shooting yourself in the foot.

http://www.amosweb.com/cgi-bin/awb_nav.pl?s=wpd&c=dsp&k=third-degree+price+discrimination

You should seriously be applying third degree price discrimination to your pricing model so kids like Will here can get you more profit, and Will can consume a product/service which can’t cost you more on a marginal basis of 1 more paid user.

12 Likes

A lot has changed in your pricing since last year. There are less unpaid options today than in the past. Again, it’s all good to charge but maybe an educational group price per school might be in order.

7 Likes

Agree with @jhauer. There are many high school students who want to learn coding and it would be really nice to have any kind of discount for us. Even-though cost of your site is not that elevated comparing to others, high school students usually can’t work and any extra way of saving is always nice.

1 Like

With the increase of content being hidden behind a paywall, a student discount sounds like a fantastic idea. I know some University students that could use the help. :wink:

9 Likes

Codecademy seems to become less and less an Academy and more and more a Commercial business not aiming at students at all. Luckely there are alternatives like repl.it or SoloLearn - Even a basic course on basics on Python 3 is on the PRO account now…

1 Like

I feel you, man. The Python 3 course being behind a paywall really triggers me. Most courses that CodeCademy has can be supplemented by an O’Reilly Media programming book bought off Amazon (depending on the book, somewhere between the price of 3-6 weeks of Pro) and a StackExchange (or something like it) account (free).
If a course will take more than 3-6 weeks to learn, and you want a physical reference, you are definitely better off buying a book.

2 Likes

I love the way the do the courses, many times people just have an answer pop quiz but no hands on training, I think this is a good site to learn at but to expensive for people trying to learn something other than what a bed feels like and can’t be able to go outside and enjoy life:( just maybe they can enjoy the programming life instead:) I am disabled and enjoy it here and hopefully one day I can get a job coding. This also helps with mental disorders, it scrambles your brain to forget and yes this does help alot with me, I have ptsd bad and I go straight to coding world and it sets my mind to a new way of life.

Love this site and it works!

1 Like

I definitely agree with you. I attend the University of Florida and am offered educational pricing for products like Word, Adobe, and Lynda (LinkedIn). It would be great to include Codecademy on the list.

Just like Will, I would also like to access the Pro resources, but am unable to afford it at the current rates.

I hope the team at Codecademy will consider expanding their reach to encompass university students who want access to such great resources.

5 Likes

I too wish that Codecademy would offer a student discount. I was using Codecademy for Python 3 but now have to stop. I now have stopped using Codecademy altogether as there are free options to learn Python 3 elsewhere. A student discount would greatly increase profits and accessibility of Codecademy and would help more people use it for more than just coding basics.

I hope Codecademy will consider this option down the line. I love the tutorials and lessons you offer

4 Likes

Whatever the CA powers that be decide on Student Pricing (a good idea, to my mind), it’s positively a slap in the face to be offering Python 2 as the “free” Python offering.

Let’s not play games with semantics. The way I see the situation for 2.7 is
that EOL is January 1st, 2020, and there will be no updates, not even
source-only security patches, after that date.
… Guido van Rossum

1 Like

Perhaps CodeAcademy should offer K-12 pricing to institutions to distribute access to their students such as Will. Certainly a middle school student whop wants to learn to code should be encouraged, and it is plausible that such students may have no disposable funds . College students are a different story. A college student can either use the resources of their college, learn to code from one of the many free tutorials on line, or come up with the $20 a month for code academy.

2 Likes

Seems no one cares about this anymore, I should say that for most of the people living in the 3rd world (like me ) 15$/mo is a little bit expensive, I know that it takes a lot of time and effort to make this great platform work and i appreciate it a lot but having a student discount will be wonderful.

Thank you, i appreciate it.

1 Like

Is there an update on this? I also would like to know student pricing.

1 Like

Hey Darby,

I think the same too. I’m now also a university student. Yes, there has many sites and products who have offered some discount or free pricing, excluding Codecademy and also some others. It would be great if they consider that thing for students.
But now Codecademy is giving access to pro accounts all over the world for everyone who has .edu and .k12 mail, they can have access to the pro account for 90 days due to COVID-19. Go and grab it now :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I would sign up to a Pro account in a heartbeat if there was a student discount. Finished my free trial and really enjoyed it, especially the projects, but the current subscription prices/models don’t really fit my student budget.

$39.99 each month is a little steep. The $19.99 per month for the annual is reasonable, but I can’t really afford the entire year up front. Not sure how things work in other countries, but in my country we receive our student loans in three instalments throughout the year. I could afford to pay $19.99 each month, or $60 a term, but $200+ from one of my loan instalments is a little too much.

Would love a wider variety of subscription plans.

3 Likes

It doesn’t work. I’m in college so I don’t know if the discount would apply to me. It never asked for verification and wouldn’t let me complete the transaction anyway, so I ended up paying the full price.

As far as I understand, there is no discount.