Codecademy Learners Challenge Project (SQL)

Love the way your thought to figure out the 4th question! I did it quite differently, as long we managed to get the same results thats what matters!

Hey everyone!

I’ve just managed to finish the challenge and would love to hear some feedback!

It was quite challenging, however, I feel really proud of myself for having managed to finish it!

Fair play to you! I was thinking of calculating the percentages as well but I was just overwhelmed after having managed to calculate the non null values :rofl:

Hello

I liked your solution, can you explain me why do you use this statement != ‘’

Hey,
Could you take a look at my solution? I would love a review. Thanks

Hi!

I think your last query is missing “_data” at line 85 (“from school_course_preferences”) where you select colums from your previous table “school_course_preferences_data”

Personally I ve found a little dificult to read and test everything in a single query, I would rather have many diferent querys to follow point by point.

I ll post my solution soon, hope to hear your opinion too!

Hi!

At line 29 I would rather use:

WHERE mobile_app IS NOT ''

Since NOT NULL is also counting the blanks or empty strings… but I guess you already figured that out :stuck_out_tongue:

I didnt know about the IN operator and I have just learnt about it reading your code, thanks!

This is my solution.

I had to struggle a bit with the empty string values since the NOT NULL operator wasn’t working as I expected, but this tip by @stefanstratulat helped me a lot!

Looking at other solutions I think I missed the point at the 4rth question, since I sorted it by the number of courses each school was offering.

At the last 2 points I wanted to set the results in a vertical column to be able to sort them by order of preference in each city, it took me a while but I got it!

I am pretty sure there may be a better way to do it though, so… if any of you has any insight it will be very apreciated.

Thank you.

I didn’t even notice that! Thank you for pointing it out!

Hm, I didn’t know my way of querying could decrease readability. I thought splitting the data up into tables would make it easier to follow.

This is what I got.

By far the most elegant answer I’ve seen. The open/close quotation seems to account for the fact that the data type doesn’t allow for it to be “NULL”. I also used a series of CASES to identify as 1 or 0 the students taking each class. However, I did this in a separate temporary table. Not as efficient. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, for those of you copying this into the workspace, watch out for the quotations. They may need to be re entered to work correctly.

Here’s my solution. Most interesting part is probably the fact that I didn’t check the schema and trusted the description of the tables in the intro. Codecademy didn’t include the city as a column, so I tried to identify students in the STATE of New York by postal codes.

Here is my solution set:

Took me a while to work around the NULL bits which were messing up my numbers for the last q but managed to figure it out…

Hi guys!
I would like to share my solution for Codecademy Learners Mockup Data Project.

Hey All,

I wanted to do this project off platform using DB Browser for SQLite. I downloaded both databases in the beginning, but when I tried to open them I received a pop up about “SQLCipher encryption” which requested a password/encryption key.

I’ve encountered this a couple of times before, when trying to import other public data for a project.

Did I do something wrong? Where do I go from here? I completed the project on Code Academy but am really trying to get more familiar other workspaces.

This may be a question for a different part of the forum. I’m just curious if anyone else downloaded the User and Progress tables and experienced the same roadblock.

Thanks!