Codeacademy pro worth it?

Hi there,

Anyone have an honest take on this? I want to ask my employer to sign me up for a year but want to make sure their money is well spent. My biggest sticking point is fear that the codeacademy makes everything so bite size that you don’t get to think on your own too much.

What I mean is, I’ve enjoyed other programming courses when they tell you what the end project needs to do, but you’re on your own (or given limited instruction) on how to get there. I’m weary of the kind of approach where you’re guided through building each aspect of the project.

Would Pro Intensive be any different?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Hey @kpurban, thanks for bringing your question here. As an employee of Codecademy, I do not want to insert my bias here :wink: , but I hope I can be helpful by surfacing what other learners have said on this topic here and here.

5 Likes

See this post for what a whole lot of what people also from what @alyssavigil said:

2 Likes

I’m a pro member and I really enjoy it. I’ve heard some criticism that CodeCademy guides and babies the students, but that’s exactly what I need. I have no background at all in programming. In fact, I’m a nurse, so I have no idea what any of this is. It is like a regular classroom curriculum and I like that. I’m building a knowledge-base and slowly starting to understand things. I might not be working independently on projects in the class, but I’ve learned enough in two months that I have been able to play around with Python outside of the class. I can make a small program, run it in the terminal or upload it to Github. Two months ago I had no idea how programs were made, what to do with them, and I had never even heard of Github.

The Pro membership provides a path that has a dozen or so courses that take me anywhere between 1-2 weeks. I’ve noticed that some of the courses have “Pro” in the title, so I assume they aren’t available in the free version. Some of them are very useful to someone like me who came into this with hardly any prior knowledge.

Everyone is different, so I don’t know how other people feel about this. The most important thing I get from Codecademy is the knowledge-base. I go through each section, take notes, review and study them. The practice in the class is just a demonstration of what they’re teaching. As the course progresses, I’ve found that I’ll see something interesting and I’ll think, “I wonder what happens if I use this code with that other code I learned about.”. That’s when I start putting things together and playing around on my own.

I’m sure you can buy a few books and get the same result. I like this way much more, plus it isn’t expensive. I think it’s only like $200 for a year, right? With that I get the guidance I need, an interactive program that lets me practice on their website, and a forum to ask questions when something comes up.

The only frustration I’ve had with the program is that sometimes I wish there was more practice or more examples for a subject. Sometimes I finish the subject and don’t feel like I fully understand it. So I end up reviewing my notes a few times, doing some Googling, asking a few questions in the forum, and do a little practicing on my own. It works out most of the time, but I can say that I’m still having problems with what I learned about SQL in the beginning of the program. I learned some commands and it had me interested, but then it just stopped. I have no idea how to get it or how to practice it more. So I’ve been trying to figure it out for the past two months. That’s just an example and that’s the only one that I don’t feel adequate with.

Overall, I say it’s definitely worth it. If you’re like me and starting from nothing, you’ll be surprised when you start making your own code within the next month.

13 Likes

I am thoroughly enjoying all that pro has to offer so I would say yes ;).

2 Likes

I agree with the nurse person about SQL… and more examples would be nice. But overall if you have time to do it, codecademy is fun and good for absolute beginners.

6 Likes

I’m also interested in buying pro membership. Does it give access to every course on the website ?

2 Likes

Yes, it does. Although some require other courses to be finished first.

2 Likes

The pro plan has much more to offer than the free version

2 Likes

I do not think Code Academy is a total waste of time. However, after getting into it I realized that there are other websites like Udemy that will teach you a language, including the basics for beginners, and so much more than Code Academy for a fraction of the cost. I spent $40 on a month of Code Academy and then after getting through 35% of C# in around 3 days I realized there was not enough material. I talked to my brother who is in Computer Science and he told me it only scraped the surface. The C# course is 25 hours if I recall, and I have now found a C# course that is much more in depth and around 31.5 hours for only $13, and it is permanent rather than a subscription.

I work already in multiple code languagues, what i can tell you about Codecademy pro is that it offers the very best tutorials on the basics of a subject, no question there

Even if i have experienced various stuff about codes troughout my years, the material presented on the site is outstanding! I normally buy one month to get all I need to learn from 1-3 languagues then return 0.5-1 years later or whenever i need to learn new ones

The separation from an actual code editor makes all the difference to me. When you write code in an editor, its’ just there on your hard drive or where you saved it. That isn’t the case here on codecademy, you write then must copy it. This seemingly small detail makes all the difference to me. The lessons just lose their hooks in my memory.

Writing it then coming back to the self made file sets it in memory better. Plus I spoiled myself by using phpstorm/jetbrains ide’s, you screw up you know it the moment you do it and exactly where with references to correct syntax.

I agree :slightly_smiling_face: