Codeacademy does not teach how to use commandline for windows

right now I’m currently on the bank teller project https://www.codecademy.com/paths/finance-python/tracks/introduction-to-python-for-finance/modules/introduction-to-jupyter-notebooks/informationals/bank-teller
Im going to pay $250 for codeacademy but there isn’t even a course on how to use the command line for windows only for Linux and mac. It says “In the terminal, navigate to the directory containing the project, and type: upyter notebook” how do I do that if you guys haven’t even teached it to me? sorry im just really stressed since im stuck here and dont know what to do. im paying $250 for this. Well, if anyone on here could please explain how to navigate to the directory cmd to reach this project thanks!

1 Like

Hello @maticoder, welcome to the forums! I believe on Windows, if you go to command prompt, it accepts all the commands that is used by the command line.

I dont know if it does but I didn’t even bother with that command line course because it literally said that its for Linux and mac users only. Thx for the response!

Oh.

I already figured everything out, googling.

im on jupyter right now, I right the code on the website right? its giving me instructions, but I was wondering if I need to write the code on there. please lmk. thx.

No, I think you have to write the code on your own laptop (off-platform), using everything you’ve downloaded.

While Windows is not Unix-based, it is still helpful to learn/understand how to navigate around your local file system. The UNIX commands work in Windows.
I used it at work and that was a Windows GUI environment.

Not all Unix commands work in Windows. For example, on Windows CMD you have to use dir instead of ls to view all the files/folders in that directory, or cls instead of clear. I think PowerShell recognizes more of the Unix commands, but PowerShell has its own weird set of commands for some actions that are different from both CMD and Unix.

That said, you can use all the Unix commands on Windows if you download Git Bash or Cmder, and that will provide you extra flexibility in being able to change OS depending on your job’s requirements.

As far as I know, there aren’t any programs to run Windows commands on Mac/Linux other than the newer versions of PowerShell (PSCore6 or PowerShell 7), which recently became cross-platform. I believe Microsoft primarily made it cross-platform to help SysAdmins who have to manage both Linux and Windows servers.

So, if you don’t want to limit yourself, I’d suggest either learning the Unix commands and using Git Bash or Cmder on Windows, or learning PowerShell commands and installing that on any Unix-based OS you use.

1 Like

Weird, b/c ls, ls -lrt etc. worked on my Windows machine when I had one.

are you sure because jupyter gives me a box to write the code in

@lisalisaj,

You probably used PowerShell then. CMD will give you this if you try to use ls:

@maticoder,

Yes, you use the Jupyter Notebook in the browser. If you use VS Code or Spyder, you can also open up the notebook in those.

1 Like

if i recall correctly it was part of the GNU project. so, perhaps that had something to do with it…:slight_smile:

Kinda beside the point but if you are unaware, the git bash command line has been made available for windows through download:

For those of you who prefer it over the Windows command line.

3 Likes

At the risk of just piling on more options, have a look at wsl (windows subsystem for linux). I’ve not used windows a great deal recently but when I have it has been dead handy. It felt a little bit neater for the kind of things I was up to than running your typical virtual machine (though some file transfers and permissions handling was still troublesome). You can use it like a simple shell for linux commands if that’s all you needed but you can do a whole lot more should you want to.

how do I open the notebook in vscode?

You open it like any other file. Just select File -> Open File and then browse for your notebook. I think VS Code uses the Python extension to open Jupyter notebooks, so if that is not already installed, you may need to do that. I don’t remember for sure, but I think VS Code prompts you to install the Python extension any time you open a Python file (or .ipynb file). If not, it’s the one by Microsoft with 26 million downloads:

2 Likes

Thank you! it worked :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi! Here’s an article from the end of the Command Line course that has Command Prompt equivalents

So is there a ‘best way’ to complete this section for Windows users?