Code your own adventure 2(redirect to previous prompt)

Is there a way I can reset the switch in an if/else statement?

As you can see below, if the logic operator is false, the else statement activates the 'user' variable prompt -which is fine- but doesn't reset the switch. Instead it closes out of the prompt and completes the program.

Any suggestions?

var user = prompt("There is a fork in the road before you; do you go right, left, or off the path?").toLowerCase();

switch(user) {
    case 'right':
        var river = prompt("You come upon a river. Are you a good swimmer?(yes or no)").toLowerCase();
        var endure = prompt("Halfway through the river, you realize it may be to strong. Do you turn back?").toLowerCase();
        if( river === 'yes' && endure === 'no') {
            console.log("Great! you made it across the river!");
        } else if( river === 'yes' && endure === 'yes') {
            console.log("Your foot gets caught between 2 boulders and you drown.");
        } else {
            user = prompt("There is a fork in the road before you; do you go right, left, or off the path?").toLowerCase(); };

break;
    case 'left':
        var bridge = prompt("There is a bridge ahead that is old and rotted, do you cross it?(yes or no)").toLowerCase();
        var cross = prompt("There are trolls on the other side of the bridge, will you turn back?(yes or no)").toLowerCase();
        if (bridge === 'yes' || cross === 'no') {
            console.log("You slip and fall into the chasm below anyway");
      }  else {
         user = prompt("There is a fork in the road before you; do you go right, left, or off the path?").toLowerCase();
            };
        break;
    case 'off the path':
        var three = prompt()
        break;

default:
    console.log()

you could use a do while loop? You learned that one already (link), this you could use?

Can I use a switch as a variable? I get an 'unexpected switch' error

var retry = switch(user){
case..... etc.

else{ do{ console.log(retry)}
while(x= false);
}
or is it how I'm executing the var retry?

but you can't store the result of a switch in a variable:

switch(user){

}

then you just get this (what i did above), then in the default statement i would set x to false, then the loop will run again, but then you should nest the switch statement inside the loop:

do {
  switch(user){
  default:
   x = false;
}
} while (x == false)

also, in a while condition you should compare (two equal signs) not assign (single equal sign)

Just figured it out right before I checked here! :slight_smile: I guess, I just needed some sleep.

do{var user = prompt("There is a fork in the road before you; do you go right, left, or off the path?").toLowerCase();

switch(user) {
    case 'right':

var river = prompt("You come upon a river. Are you a good swimmer?(yes or no)").toLowerCase();

var endure = prompt("Halfway through the river, you realize it may be to strong. Do you turn back?").toLowerCase();

if( river === 'yes' && endure === 'no') {
            console.log("Great! you made it across the river!");
        } else if( river === 'yes' && endure === 'yes') {
            console.log("Your foot gets caught between 2 boulders and you drown.");
        } else{
       console.log("does not compute.")}

break;
    case 'left':
        var bridge = prompt("There is a bridge ahead that is old and rotted, do you cross it?(yes or no)").toLowerCase();
        var cross = prompt("There are trolls on the other side of the bridge, will you turn back?(yes or no)").toLowerCase();
        if (bridge === 'yes' || cross === 'no') {
            console.log("You slip and fall into the chasm below anyway");
      }  else {
         user = prompt("There is a fork in the road before you; do you go right, left, or off the path?").toLowerCase();
            };
        break;
    case 'off the path':
        var three = prompt()
        break;

default:
    console.log()
}}
while(river==='no');

It still runs the full if/else logic operator, but it's still wicked that I figured it out. Thanks a lot!!

what do you still need help with then?

Is the shell we're using limited in certain ways? The simple do while wrapped around the switch worked fine, but I tried to add a little Math.random imitation of rock/paper/scissors within the (do)switch>if/else>if>(Math.random)>(do)switch>(while)else> default (while)End code

By pushing deeper into the branches, I seem to have caused the code to misbehave and reaching out to other logic operators before checking current if/else statements. Or is there another way of approaching this I haven't learned just yet?

As a novice I can understand if I'm jumping ahead of myself or biting off more than I can chew presently.

Thanks for taking the time to reply if you wish.

the shell isn't limited in this way, if you experience problems it is very likely they are in your code. Careful you don't get in over your head

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.