self.name = name
self.age = age

zebra = Animal("Jeffrey", 2)
giraffe = Animal("Bruce", 1)
panda = Animal("Chad", 7)

print zebra.name, zebra.age, zebra.is_alive
print giraffe.name, giraffe.age, giraffe.is_alive
print panda.name, panda.age, panda.is_alive

Why is_alive isn't in the def init (...)? I know that is_alive is a member variable,but I don't undestand why in the output he managed to put true/false.

7 - Class Scope

Thing is, the output doesn't have any "False" in there, does it? They're all true.

As to the reason why it's not in init is explained in the exercise text:

each individual animal gets its own name and age (since they're all initialized individually), but they all have access to the member variable is_alive, since they're all members of the Animal class.

The name and age variables are specific to each individual animal, while all of them share the exact same value for is_alive, "True". It's a bit of an odd example, but the code assumes that all animals must be alive at all times. If they die they apparently cease to be an animal :wink:

EDIT:
Disregard that! Exercise 9 proves me wrong!

hippo = Animal("Jake", 12)
cat = Animal("Boots", 3)
print hippo.is_alive       #True
hippo.is_alive = False
print hippo.is_alive       # False
print cat.is_alive           # True

The is_alive variable is in fact unique for each critter as well. In that case let me assume that they do not want the value for is_alive to be up for discussion at the moment of instantiation. Whenever a new animal is registered, it will always be assumed to be alive. I guess that's what's going on here.