Hello folks,

this confussion concerns these lessons:
Review of Classes Advanced Concepts

Here is the code:

class SortedList(list):

def append(self, value):
    super().append(value)
    self.sort()

I mean to ask if super() as proxy object represents here the list class or the SortedList class?
First I thought it´s function called on method from parent class, but now it looks to me like it´s a function AND proxy object in one. So virtually two objects as function is object too.

Also the self parameter…is it a representation of method in a way that self = method? The .sort function called in the code is called on self. Does it mean it´s called on method append?

And dont start on some dunder methods. I wouldnt even know how to posit the question.

Can anyone with more understanding pls elaborate?

Thank you.

If we look at the signature line of the SortedList class, it inherits from List so that is what super() acts upon. It is a method, not a list, so has no append() method. We use that in an __init__() method to pass parameters that we do not want to override so they get intialized in the parent class.

self is also not a list but a reference to the current instance, so has no sort()

def append(self, value):
    self.data.append(value)

This assumes that a data variable is already initialized as a list object.

my initial post edited.

** Also the self parameter…is it a representation of method in a way that self = method?**

thats what feels unclear. Do I have always have to reference to current instance in method with self.argument = argument as I usually see in the code? What is the logic behind it? And when it should or not should be used?

Yes to always having self as a parameter of all instance methods. The only place we will see,

self.variable = variable

is in the __init__() method of the class.

def __init__(self, variable):
    self.variable = variable

A class instance is a data wrapper, for starters. It is a closure around that data so all methods can be scoped to that specific data, only, and not the data of other instances. When we invoke a method, the object upon which that method is called becomes self inside that method. self has access to all the instance variables assigned in the __init__() method.

class Foo(object):
  def __init__(self, foo, bar):
    self.foo = foo
    self.bar = bar
  def __repr__(self):
    return "foo: {}\nbar: {}".format(self.foo, self.bar)
foobar = Foo('foo', 'bar')    # instance of Foo
print (foobar)
foo: foo
bar: bar
fazbaz = Foo('faz', 'baz')    # instance of Foo
print (fazbaz)
foo: faz
bar: baz

Both objects are instances of the same class, but their discrete data is preserved.

Hi Roy,

thanks. It think this cleared the waters about the purpose of .self.

Thank you.