Choosing the right path for me

Hi everyone,

I’m new here and excited to get started. I’ve followed (and… almost completed) a Data Analyst path on DataQuest, which I loved. I wanted to try a new platform and broaden my “programming world view” a little bit.

I have a general idea of what I want to be able to do, and a more specific project, and I’m a bit unsure of how to get there.

I am super interested in data story-telling. I’ve gotten to know Python a bit, and enjoyed learning the language. Ultimately, I would love to be able to present webpages of specific data storytelling or “scrollytelling”, very much like The Pudding.
One of those personal projects being analyzing data from the Metal Archives. I wanted to capture data from it, but looks like Beautiful Soup isn’t going to help me here?

For this specific project, and ultimately to help me with presenting data in an interactive manner, I feel like I should get familiar with JavaScript.

Based on that information, I guess I have two questions: what should I learn to get data from the Metal Archives? and for the bigger plan, should I follow a Data Analytics Path, and take JavaScript courses, or follow 2 paths simultaneously? I would love to get feedback from people who’ve spent time on codecademy.

Thank you so much to anyone who will take time to read and/or answer this!

(Disclaimer: I’m fine with all of this taking 5 years, I like the idea of having a broad project to give me purpose while learning, and a more specific one to give me focus, but I’m not in a hurry to change careers or anything.)

Continue to learn Python. You can build a web scraper using that. But also, before you build any sort of web scraper, read a website’s rules about that. Many don’t allow it. You can google general web scraping rules.