Choosing a career path

Hello! I am new to this field but I’m debating Front end, Back end, or Full stack. I currently work at web design company with only Front end devs so there may be a bias from them. I’m not a creative person and I’m not really interested in the artistic side of things. I’m not good at styling, colors, etc. Would Front end be a good place to start? I was considering Full stack to get a little of both but I don’t want to overload myself with information. Any help is appreciate!

Thanks,

Hi there,

If you’re not interested in the “artistic side of things,” that’s exactly what you’re going to be getting with the Front-End career path (with some other things sprinkled in). On the other hand, the Back-End career path will handle everything on the back end–the things we do not see on a website. Full-Stack will cover everything.

If you’re wanting to ignore all things to do with styling, back-end development would be the place to start. If you’re looking to grow your repertoire or work on your weak spots, go ahead and give front-end or full-stack a shot.

Appreciate the reply! I have no prior experience with any coding or anything like that so I may start with Back end and then give Front end a shot later. I guess I’m still trying to decide what I like to but I know that I’m not a creative artistic person at all :smile:

Thanks again,

I think it really depends on what you are going for.

If you are aiming to do backend coding such as using Python, C#, or another language to modify or insert data into your data source (ie SQL/ SQLLite) and don’t have any need or want to learn web design then I would go with Backend development career path.

If your aim is to know a bit about both sides (backend and front end) then I would recommend full stack. It would give you a taste of both and help you to succeed in both areas.

I currently do backend processing but I am crossing between design and backend (ie making a backend process and the view that corresponds to it on a website). I felt the same about creativity, but I found when I code backend processes I have view in mind of how I want users to enter information and a way I want to validate that information before saving it.

Not sure that helps you much, but I’m doing full stack to expand my knowledge of front end.

That actually help a lot. Maybe since I’m trying to figure out what I want to do I give Full stack a shot. I’m just worried about overloading myself with information. I’m still interested in certain aspects of Front end, just not the artistic/design side if you know what I mean.

Appreciate the reply!
Thanks,

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.