"CHEATING" The Scoop cumulative project : bad practice at this point?

SOLUTION ALERT - don’t read on if you have not finished this project yet.

https://www.codecademy.com/paths/create-a-back-end-app-with-javascript/tracks/bapi-javascript-objects-modules-and-browser-compatibility/modules/the-scoop/informationals/the-scoop

Executing the SCOOP project while following the ‘Create a back-end app with javascript’ path, i was able to finish this project in just a few hours using some basic logic. I’m wondering if that was the point of the exercise or if i’m missing out if i continue now… I guess my question is more about HOW to look/approach these exercises, rather than how to finish them. I’ll clarify after the story…

I was a bit tired and the code seemed rather confusing
Quickly analyzing the provided start code, i realized that with using basic logic i could try to finish the project without fully understanding it.

I started by setting routes.
Then i quickly created all the necessary functions, simply by duplicating the existing functions for ‘articles’ , and replacing every reference to ‘article’ (in various forms) to ‘comments’.

• that marked-of 32 of the 49 tests

i looked in a few edge cases, figured out the database structure and passed all 49 tests in a whiff.

Now here is my question:

I feel like i completely ‘cheated’ my way trough this project, without complete understanding of what i was doing. I started reading all the code closely to be able to understand afterwards.

At this point in the course, shall i just continue with the lessons…? Was this the point of this exercise?

It is a little unclear to me sometimes how thorough you need to understand these cumulative projects before moving on. It seemed to me that things get explained pretty clearly AFTER the projects…

It might be a bit strange thing to post :sweat_smile:

Wondering if other participants share the same experience, and how it played out after continuing the course.

Best luck with learning!

Arejas

@tagslayer30315. I TOTALLY AGREE! I have had the same question in my head multiple times.

1 Like

I would point out that, if you do consider yourself to have cheated by adapting the boilerplate and refactoring it to meet the criteria with a minimum of effort and with no understanding of how or why it works, then really… you’ve only cheated yourself.

Ultimately, I assume you’re here to expand your skills and gain an understanding of programming. I would encourage you to spend the time to examine what you ended up with, and to come to an understanding about why it works and what it does, because that will make you a better programmer.

There’s nothing to stop you blitzing your way through the course and trying to get to the end as fast as possible, but there are no marks awarded for “finishing first”. The exercises are meant to be challenges in the sense of applying what you’ve learned and a chance to rise to a task, not an inconvenience or chore to be dodged like math homework that can be copied from a friend.

Only you can decide what you want to get out of the time you spend on the courses here, and that will inform whether you speed through the material with little to no comprehension of what you’re being taught, or whether you put the time in to understand why that block of code does what it does.

At the end of the day… it’s entirely up to you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah i was ‘asking for the known answer’ as we say here haha…
In the end i’m finishing the project till full completion making sure i understand exactly what it is i am doing… like i do with all the projects & exercises :slight_smile:

To be honest, ‘copying’ the functions already gave me understanding what they were doing, to make them wor.k Maybe i’ll just write them again from scratch for the extra exercise. Luckily there is still the bonus to be done

cheerio!

1 Like