Censor

Thanks a lot for the help.
I wrote the code and in screens seems to be working as expected. However, the validation process does not.
CODE;

def censor(text, word):
  n = text.split()
  full = ""
  for tex in n:
    if tex == word:
      size = len(tex)
      tex = "*" * size
    full= full + " "+ tex
  print full
  return full

Could you please let me know if i am in the right path?

How can I use split( ) to make censor?

you have a leading space, we can see this when replacing the spaces with underscores:

def censor(text, word):
  n = text.split()
  full = ""
  for tex in n:
    if tex == word:
      size = len(tex)
      tex = "*" * size
    full= full + "_"+ tex
  print full
  return full
print censor("hey hey hey", "hey")

its why the exercise is rejecting your code

Yeah, the first time you call full = full + " " + tex , full is empty, so you’re putting a space at the beginning of the line. You might want to use join() to put a space between each word.

Tbh, I don’t know why everyone seems to be doing this with looping, I think something like this would work too:

def censor(text, word):
  parts = text.split(word)
  stars = '*' * len(word)
  ntext = stars.join(parts)
  return ntext

look at the code below:

def censor(text, word):
  parts = text.split(word)
  stars = '*' * len(word)
  ntext = stars.join(parts)
  return ntext

print censor("this hack is a wack hack", "is")

this will give:

th** hack ** a wack hack

i don’t think this should be partial censored, but the lesson doesn’t test this. So its a corner case you could discuss.

Hmm, true. I guess it depends on what you’d expect a censor to do.
I feel like on most of the chat/message board censors I’ve seen, they actually do filter out strings even if embedded in longer words. (Get those mother****in snakes off this mother****in plane, or somesuch)

Still could probably do it without looping, though it’d be a lot easier with RegEx

then you get two layers, because you don’t want to partial censor ■■■■ (h e l l) of hello.

Thanks a lot for the reply! I understand the join is the programmer why to resolve it, but i also wanted to get it work with my logic. Thanks

that is possible, do you now understand why your code is rejected? If you do, you can see if you can figure out a way to solve the problem, or was your reply a question to me for a hint?

I understand now the issue why it was rejected. Thanks! Don ‘t need for a hint

so then you solved it? Nicely done :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.