Censor

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/python-intermediate-en-rCQKw/1/4?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096#

I'm not sure exactly why my code isn't working, I have a feeling that it is something simple. but i keep getting this error message: "Oops, try again. Your function fails on censor("hey hey hey","hey"). It returns "None" when it should return "*** *** ***"."

This is my code..

def censor(text,word):
    z=len(text)
    z='*'*z
    t=text.split(" ")
    w=str(word)
    k=[]
    for i in t:
        if i in w:
            i=i.replace(i,z)
        else:
            k=' '.join(k)
print censor('how are you', 'are')

There is no return statement in your function, hence the error.

That said, your function won't work:
1) Are you sure you want z to be equal to the length of the whole string?

2) After i=i.replace(i,z) what should you do with the filtered word? At the moment it i is going to be overwritten in the next iteration. Maybe place it into a list? Also, is
i=i.replace(i,z) not just the same a z?

3) Also, the else statement, this will be for words that shouldn't be censored. What should be do with them? At the moment, you are turning k into a string that will be made up of the items already in the list that k points to.

4) No return statement, as above.

If you need more ifno, just ask.

Thank you for your help, I think I'm almost there. I have changed my code slightly (I think in the way you told me to), however i'm still getting an error. This is my new code:

def censor(text,word):
    z=len(word)
    z='*'*z
    t=text.split(" ")
    w=str(word)
    k=[]
    for i in t:
        if i in w:
            i=i.replace(i,z)
            k.append(i)
            return k
        else:
            k=' '.join(k)
            return k
print censor('how are you', 'are')

The error i'm getting is, "Oops, try again. Your function fails on censor("hey hey hey","hey"). It returns "['**']'' when it should return "*** *** ***". "
(Within the square bracket there are 3x* but it caused a formatting error when entering it.)

here:

if i in w:

you can use in, but that is pretty extensive. Why not simple check if i equals w?

here:

i=i.replace(i,z)
            k.append(i)

why do a replace action first? You can append z directly to k, can you explain me why replace is relevant?

when i (current word from text string) doesn't need censoring (else), we will need to append i to k

this way, we create a list which will create a list with our censored sentence

then after the loop, we need join the list into a string and return it

Currently, why would you use .join() everytime i doesn't need censoring?

Finally, its important to understand, a function ends the moment a return keyword is reached. So, currently your loop ends in the first iteration of the loop

you only want to return after the loop (when the censoring is complete)

Thank you, that really helped, I've done it now

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.