Career Paths: "Data Scientist" vs. "Data Analyst"

Hi,

As far as I can see, there is a great deal of overlap between the two paths (see title).

If I want to complete both of them, will I have to go through the shared courses twice? For example, “Python Fundamentals” is present in both options but it would be a waste of time to go through it twice just for the sake of it. Do you have any insights on this?

Thanks,
Fabrizio

Because of the overlap once you complete a module or project it will be completed in the other course. You can also see some of the same lessons in the Python course.

DS has machine learning, NLP and predictive analytics while DA does not.

I would also encourage researching the two as well. I even see a lot of confusion between them in job listings on LinkedIn, as some employers don’t know the difference.

1 Like

Also, if you have questions, feel free to ask me as I’ve completed the “Analyze Data with Python” and “Visualize Data w/Python” and am 61% through the DS path (as well as some other courses).

Hi lisalisaj,

Thanks for your response - much appreciated!

Being a Data Analyst myself I can only confirm what you said about the huge confusions around the two titles…

I am currently working my way through the DS path (~ 15%) but only because until a couple of days ago the DA option wasn’t available yet. I am really enjoying the process though and have no reasons to switch track, at least for the time being. That being said, it’s good to know that, given the huge overlap, I can change career path freely without wasting any time :wink:

Thanks again and happy learning!

Best,
Fabrizio