Can't rename or get line numbers in Jupyter Notebook

In the course ’ Getting Started with Jupyter’ I’m getting the following error when trying to rename the notebook,

Traceback (most recent call last): File “D:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\tornado\web.py”, line 1704, in _execute result = await result File “D:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\tornado\gen.py”, line 234, in wrapper yielded = ctx_run(next, result) File “D:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\notebook\services\contents\handlers.py”, line 135, in patch model = yield maybe_future(cm.update(model, path)) File “D:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\notebook\services\contents\manager.py”, line 296, in update self.rename(path, new_path) File “D:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\notebook\services\contents\manager.py”, line 284, in rename self.rename_file(old_path, new_path) File “D:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\notebook\services\contents\filemanager.py”, line 579, in rename_file raise web.HTTPError(400, f’Cannot rename file or directory {os_path!r}') NameError: name ‘os_path’ is not defined

I also can’t get line numbers in the lines.

I’m running Anaconda3 on Windows 11 with an Edge browser.

I’m not sure if this is related but I can’t get the Google DNS site to work either. (http://8.8.8.8:80/)
It isn’t blocked by the firewalls.
@michellemcsweeney

The problem only comes up using title “First Jupyter Notebook”.
If I name it something else it will rename, give line numbers and run.

Not sure why the name is giving it problems.

By the way the link for check out A gallery of interesting Jupyter Notebooks doesn’t work and the gallery seems to have been removed.

@michellemcsweeney

I just found out that Edge might have a compatibility problem that is interfering.

Browser Compatibility

The Jupyter Notebook aims to support the latest versions of these browsers:

• Chrome
  • Safari
  • Firefox

Up to date versions of Opera and Edge may also work, but if they don’t, please use one of the supported browsers.

Thanks for flagging and discovering the browser issue! I just updated the instructions (and the link). Happy coding!

1 Like