Cannot open Jupyter Notebook from Anaconda Navigator

Hi,

I’m unable to launch the Jupyter Notebook from Anaconda Navigator. This is part of the "Moving off-platform module within the Data Science career path.

When I click Launch, the command prompt opens and I’m getting the below info - but no web browser window is opened:

Last login: Wed Nov 29 21:55:34 on ttys000
/anaconda3/bin/jupyter_mac.command ; exit;
(base) Name-MacBook-Pro:~ Name$ /anaconda3/bin/jupyter_mac.command ; exit;
/anaconda3/bin/jupyter_mac.command: line 5: 2752 Segmentation fault: 11 $DIR/jupyter-notebook
logout
Saving session…
…copying shared history…
…saving history…truncating history files…
…completed.

[Process completed]

Any ideas on what’s the issue?

Grateful for anyone who’s able to help out.

J

What O/S do you have on your mac?

Also, you can launch Jupyter from Terminal by simply issuing this command at the prompt: jupyter notebook, which should launch a new window in your web browser.

I’m using Mojave 10.14.6. Should work, right?

Tried the prompt directly in the terminal, and got this:

Last login: Wed Nov 29 22:04:10 on ttys000
(base) Name-MacBook-Pro:~ Name$ jupyter notebook
Segmentation fault: 11
(base) Name-MacBook-Pro:~ Name$

Maybe I should try to reinstall everything?

Are you able to open anything else w/Navigator? Like Spyder or Jupyter Lab?

After some research, it seems like Segmentation 11 is a permissions issue. (but don’t quote me on that).

I did find this but I don’t know if it’s very helpful:

I wonder if @tgrtim has ever encountered this issue? :thinking:

1 Like

Afraid not but https://github.com/conda-forge/jupyterlab-feedstock/issues/378 seems to have the most in depth investigation (and also links several other Q&A pages) @cloud8344287394. You could try some of the workaround suggested therein (and if not chase the links to see other suggestions).

If none of that’s working you could also try going around conda temporarily and installing via your notebook environment via pip or similar. If you still need conda environments then you should be able to run them as kernels from within any jupyter session once you install ipykernel in them (unless this issue is affecting a lot of the conda install).

2 Likes

Well, it was worth a shot. :slight_smile:

I was also going to suggest uninstalling and re-installing via pip.

2 Likes