Cannot complete first project

Having problems with the first project - https://www.codecademy.com/paths/finance-python/tracks/introduction-to-python-for-finance/modules/learn-python3-syntax/projects/furniture-store

Unfortunately the hints do not help as I’ve followed them but they are not enough.

Error is:

File “script.py”, line 25, in
customer_one_tax = customer_one_total * sales_tax
TypeError: can’t multiply sequence by non-int of type ‘str’

Hint for step 14 specifically says the below which I have done. The variables are sales_tax = “.088”, customer_one_total = “0”, customer_one_total += lovely_loveseat_price and customer_one_total += luxurious_lamp_price

Multiplication uses the * operator.
customer_one_tax = customer_one_total * sales_tax

I have tried the following which doesn’t work either - customer_one_tax = (float)customer_one_total * (float)sales_tax

Hi, welcome to the forums!

The best thing to do with error messages is to interpret the message from python itself.

You seem to be approaching it from the appropriate angles however, so we would need to see your code to better dissect what’s going wrong. You can share it and format it with the </> and it’ll get straightened up in a jiffy.

The issue was that my values were inside quotes, because they were red without quotes, I had thought it was an error.

1 Like

Ah I see, that’s totally understandable. When I went through these I preferred going through with a text editor, particularly for the longer projects (sublime in my case but the others are great). Not only is the formatting and colors better on the eyes, but if you plan to write a lot of python you’ll be needing to know the tricks of text editors soon enough. Just my 2 cents :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Good work figuring that out on your own! :slight_smile: