Can you swing it?

it says that I did not bold the intro and summary but I did, am I doing something wrong?

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
	<head>
		<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="stylesheet.css"/>
		<title>Ultimate Text Challenge</title>
	</head>
	<body>
		<p><strong>Introduction: Cascading with CSS</strong></p>
		<div>
			<p style="color: #7AC5CD";>Synopsis: When you set a property of a selector like 'p' to a certain value, that value applies to <em>all</em> p tags.
			If, however, you change that same property to a different value for a more specific instance of p,
			that change will <em>override</em> the 'general rule'.
			</p>
			<ul>
				<li><p>If you say p { font-family: Garamond}, all 'p's will have the font Garamond.</p></li>
				<li><p>BUT if you say li p {font-family: Verdana}, 'p's outside of 'li's will be
					   in Garamond, and 'p's INSIDE 'li's will be in Verdana.
				</p></li>
				<li><p>The more specific your selectors are, the higher importance CSS gives to the styling you apply!</p></li>
			</ul>
		</div>
		<p><strong>Summary: Greater specificity makes CSS prioritize that particular styling.</strong></p>
	</body>
</html>

don't change anything in index.thml, do everything in stylesheet.css

but how? I dont know what tags to put.

that is the point of this exercise? What do you have so far?

Hello Arcace20829,

I would recommend you to go over the css part again.(If you are having trouble with css)

Quick fix:
Just go into your "stylesheet.css" and write:

body > p
{
font-weight: bold;
}

With that you just select the direct children paragraph tags of the body element.(Introduction and Summary)

If i named something incorrectly please dont blame me, I am also just a beginner. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
NNDR

This isn't right since that would also include the intro "Introduction: Cascading with CSS" line.

it is right. You have the Introduction and summary paragraph which you want to make bold (both are direct child of body)

and the synopsis paragraph which is direct child of div

This is correct. The problem comes in when you go to the next step which asks you to use CSS to make the last body paragraph a different color than the intro paragraph. There may be a way to do this, but none of the assignments in the preceding lessons tell you how to alter a single body paragraph from a group of body paragraphs using just CSS. My immediate reaction was to edit it into the index.html file but of course this is wrong.

EDIT: I just completed the assignment by typing
div > p{
color:#7ac5cd;
}

As expected it affected all body paragraphs. Even though the assignment clearly states "Make the synopsis paragraph have the color #7AC5CD.", I was given credit for completing the lesson. This leads me to believe there's no way to do what the assignment asks in CSS and that it is written incorrectly.

summary paragraph is not the same as the synopsis paragraph, this are different paragraphs

Right, but the spirit of the lesson is to make the last paragraph in the section one color, while making the first paragraph a different color, all using CSS. The next lesson is about IDs and Classes which totally explains my issues with the other lesson. Had I known about IDs before I could have just assigned a unique ID to the first paragraph, made the CSS change it to a different color and been on my way. Instead I was left kind of confused and changed both paragraphs even though it asked for one.

EDIT: I confused first and last paragraphs. Corrected my post.

you still don't see it. We have 3 paragraphs:

introduction
synopsis
summary

the introduction and summary paragraph are the first and last paragraph and both a direct child of body.

then the synopsis paragraph is the middle paragraph, which is a direct child of div.

take a close look at the instructions, and which paragraph is which (The first word of the paragraph gives this away)

You're right. Doh. Thanks, I didn't even comprehend that.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.