Can we use the 'for...of' loop instead of what was taught in 'Looping through Arrays'?

As the title says, can’t we just use the ‘for…of’ loop instead of what was taught in the lesson? If not, then what’s the difference between these two methods? I tried to convert the lesson’s exercise into a ‘for…of’ loop and it seems the ‘for…of’ can produce the same result as the lesson’s method:

let vacationSpots = [‘Bali’, ‘Paris’, ‘Tulum’];

for(let i = 0 ; vacationSpots.length > i ; i++){

console.log('I would love to visit ’ + vacationSpots[i])

}

//prints out ‘I would love to visit Bali’,‘I would love to visit Paris’ and ‘I would love to visit Tulum’

for (let i of vacationSpots){

console.log('I would love to visit ’ + i)

}

//prints out ‘I would love to visit Bali’,‘I would love to visit Paris’ and ‘I would love to visit Tulum’

1 Like

Yes, you can use the “for…of” statement to iterate through an array.

Thanks for your answer, Jane! Does that mean “for…of” is the same as the lesson’s method?

Not, it’s not the same. For loop that is used in the lesson is more flexible. And with “for…of” you can’t loop through an object, for example. In the case of the lesson you can use any of them.

It might be a little bit weird to ask, since I know I’m not supposed to know anything about ‘‘for…in’’ at this stage. However, isn’t ‘‘for…in’’ designed for looping through object?

Sorry, my bad. You won’t use a “for loop” to iterate through an object. You are right, a “for…in” statement is designed for objects, there are other ways as well (Object.keys, for example).
When I said that the “for loop” is more flexible, I meant that a “for…of” statement will iterate through your array starting from the item with index 0 and will go all the way to the last item in the array.

But what if you want to start from the last item of an array and go backwards? You can’t use the “for…of” in this case because you can’t set conditions there. But you can easily do this with the “for loop”. For example, to iterate backwards through the array of vacation spots from the lesson:

let vacationSpots = ["Bali", "Paris", "Tulum"];

for(let i = vacationSpots.length - 1; i >= 0; i--){
    console.log("I would love to visit " + vacationSpots[i]);
}

This will print following in the console:
I would love to visit Tulum
I would love to visit Paris
I would love to visit Bali

Or another example, you have an array of, let’s say ten items but you want to loop only through items with indices 3,4,5 and 6. Again, can’t use the “for…of” for this task.

const numbers = [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10];

for(let i = 3; i < 7; i++){
  console.log(numbers[i]);
}

In your console you will see:

Another example, you want to iterate only through values at odd indices:

const oddEven = ["0 - even", "1 - odd", "2 - even", "3 - odd", "4 - even", "5 - odd"];

for(let i = 1; i < oddEven.length; i +=2 ){
  console.log(oddEven[i]);
}

The console will print:
1 - odd
3 - odd
5 - odd

To sum up, you can use the “for…of” statement when you just need to iterate through all items in an array in order, but if you need to set a specific condition, then it’s the “for loop”.

Should I put it in this way: “for…in” statement is designed for looping through objects and “for,of” statement is designed for looping through arrays. However, if I need to create a complex or meticulous loop, “for loop” is the best answer.

Yes. But I was wrong about using the “for loop” to iterate through object keys. For this purpose, you’ll use the “for…in” or Object.keys method.

Thanks a lot, Jane! My mind’s clear a lot now :+1:

1 Like