Can someone please explain (CSS Quiz)

Can someone please explain this to me…
The style rule is set to auto-columns: 70px so how is it possible that the new box will go in an explicitly set column? This is the last quiz from the “Learn CSS” course.

Hi there,

I’m having the same issue as leandrobongiorno447 above. I’m not clear on how explicit rows are defined.

I understand they need to be explicitly defined, but how?

Are they defined in the HTML when they are manually inserted? E.g.

<div class="box">A</div>
<div class="box">B</div>
<div class="box">C</div>
<div class="box">D</div>

If I want to explicitly add another box to the above I would do this with ‘E’?

<div class="box">A</div>
<div class="box">B</div>
<div class="box">C</div>
<div class="box">D</div>
<div class="box">E</div>

Or do they need to be explicitly defined in the CSS as part of grid-template? Or both?

These questions in the multiple choice seem to give contradictory answers.

The first answer says it would be explicit, the second answer says it would be implicit.

Thanks so much for your help, I am verrrrry new to this and want to make sure I understand this concept right! :slight_smile:

@leandrobongiorno4407, I think the grid-template-columns: repeat(2, 100px); is the answer.

If you look in the very bottom of your screenshot, you can see "The new box will still be in one of the explicitly defined columns, which are 100px each.

The grid-template-columns: repeat(2, 100px); says 2 100px columns, so I think that’s the case.

1 Like

@leandrobongiorno4407 and @nataliegerman, there is a article explaining Explicit and Implicit Grids, I encourage you to check it out.

Happy Web Developing! :wave:

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help on this @animatedcoder!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem, happy to help! :smiley:

Sorry to jump on this one but quick follow-up!

• Given the questions both ask the same thing, “if we added a fifth box to the html” how would we know if it’s explicit or implicit?
  • Or do we just assume that because they ask, ‘what height would it have’ that we assume the CSS includes but does not mention here: ‘grid-auto-flow: column’?

I can’t distinguish if I don’ t understand the concept or it’s just confusion because of wording to the questions.