Call and Response. Why is 'return' necessary?>

Just curious why this function from exercise 7.13, 'Call and Response' requires a return command. When I remove it, the code works as hoped. What's the importance of the return command that I am missing?

def square(n):
    """Returns the square of a number."""
    squared = n**2
    print "%d squared is %d." % (n, squared)
    return squared

# Call the square function on line 9! Make sure to
# include the number 10 between the parentheses.

square(10)

Hi,
I'm not familiar with the exercise or how 'return' applies to the exercise (I have never taken the Python course), but I know why 'return' is important, in case that's what you need to know :slight_smile:

'Return' is how you get a value out of a function.
Say, for example, you have the function 'add numbers' which adds two numbers provided.
def add(a, b):
total = a + b

This will run the code, but it doesn't provide a value. However, if you add a return command (return total) to the end, it will return 'total' as a value. This allows you to set variables to the product of a function, etc.

myVariable = add(1,2)
print myVariable

If you need me to clarify, I will be able respond within a few hours. If this is not what you are looking for, or if my answer is irrelevant to Python, I'm sorry!

Hi,
@mabviro Gave a great explanation about return statements in general, but usually you need to return something for a function. Many people confuse return and print statements, so make sure you know the difference between those two.

it is to kind of store variables in case the next cod calls it

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.