Cake O’Clock project, Full Stack Course and the Game of Thrones syndrome

the Full stack lessons started well but tbh they have gotten sloppier and sloppier.

Before they walked us through the lessons in detail… but now they show us script in review exercises at the end of the unit that we HAVEN’T seen before.

describe('User visits index', () => {
  describe('to post an order', () => {
    it('starts with a blank order', () => {
      browser.url('/');

assert.equal(browser.getText('#deliver-to span'), '');
      assert.equal(browser.getText('#cake-type span'), '');
      assert.equal(browser.getText('#fillings span'), '');
      assert.equal(browser.getText('#size span'), '');
    });

The past few chapters of the Full Stack course went from Codecademy to copy-paste-we got-lazy-cademy.

The first red flag was the final JS script project. Most people posted that the project was badly formatted and the project was just skipped by many. And I agree, the gap from the lessons to the project itself was just too wide.

And now after convincing me of the importance of Test Driven Development, they essentially go on to ask for solutions that weren’t shown AT ALL in the previous chapters.

I am growing more disillusioned by the lack of a well developed program as this Full Stack course goes through. I am realizing I will be better off learning some of the things they are showing us on the side rather than the bad explanations that we are getting. I know these type of programs are just meant to get your feet wet, but I would feel like I would be better off getting the same lessons from scratch from another program.

I am not expecting to be shown every single step for every single requirement to be a FS developer but the last few things I have seen in this program have left me with more questions. Questions like, I am better off learning somewhere else where the quality of the program does not dive off a cliff like a GOT season 7-8?

I am no Codeacademy defense lawyer, I like the platform and it helped me a lot, but it is not my only source of learning that’s for sure.

However I think it’s normal that the difficulty increases by going forward along the path. If you find some difficulties or issues with the exercise per se as surely many others do (me included of course), I think asking for help is the best way to deal with this, then of course it can happen that nobody answers, but I’ve rarely seen that happen.

Cheer up! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree for the Career paths and courses in general, additional resources, and the general way of learning. Yet I also think there is an issue with this particular project. The preceding lesson doesn’t explain testing, just the usefulness of testing. But in the project, we’re asked to write tests ourselves. So there is not really something to ask in particular, but ‘How do I write tests’ or fetch the knowledge elsewhere. But this is the first time in the Frontend Path that I encountered this, so I also think that Codecademy is a great resource for learning.

If you’re talking about the TDD specifically–it is laid out weird. The point of the first lesson in that course is to expose you to what Mocha looks like and how testing is done. I agree that it really should’ve been saved for the end of the course. So, what others suggested is to skip that and go into where you actually learn step-by-step on how to do TDD. Then go back and complete the Cake O’ Clock course.

I also agree with others, Codecademy is a guidance in teaching you basic core concepts, but really you’re not going to probably get a FS job unless you’re doing your own side projects and portfolio projects. That’s where much of my learning has come from. CA has been great in setting those projects up for success. No expectation should be had that if you only follow this course that you become a FS dev in 6 months. It’s a very, very long path and this course will get you in the door to maybe junior dev jobs if you build up additional projects alongside your learning.

In the end, don’t get frustrated with CA–it’s only a tool and resource to guide you in the direction you should go–keep learning and growing for yourself. Don’t do this because you want to make more money; do this because you enjoy the problem solving and enjoyment you get from learning and researching.

One thing that I can tell you is that especially if you want to be taken on as a junior dev, many companies are going to require that you are able to learn independently because they’re not going to be able to sacrifice dev hours to have senior devs train you constantly–these are words straight from my company’s CEO/CTO. So, if you feel that CA didn’t explain something as well as you think it should, then it becomes your job to figure out how to fill in the gaps and develop that skill of knowing where to look and how to ask the right questions.

Like I said, I don’t disagree with you that it is a good overall program and its extremely obvious this is just a starting course and you would certainly need to continue studying.

But the entire point was that for the Money being paid, its kind of unacceptable to have that lack of attention for a service being rendered. Maybe you guys are used to receiving less value for your money but I expect more attention to detail when it comes to fixing clearly out of place modules after it has been brought to their attention for months.

1 Like

I completely understand. If you don’t think you’re getting your money’s worth that can definitely be frustrating. Personally, I feel I have received more than my money’s worth. I also invested in plenty of ~physical~ books (ESJ3, JS: The Good Parts, YDKJS), which actually most of those books you can find for free online as well–I just prefer physical–and resources like Frontend Masters. All of these in-tandem have given me a well-rounded view, using CA as a direction of where I need to go next as well as a guide and learning tool. CA might not be your cup of tea, and that is completely ok. There’s plenty of free resources such as The Odin Project and FreeCodeCamp that attempt to achieve similar things. Realistically, there are free resources out there and I’ve provided you with a lot of them and they require no money at all if you really want to apply yourself to those and maybe that is a route the you can take. I personally have enjoyed CA and what its offered and outside of the TDD, haven’t experienced anything that seemed out of place.

As an earlier poster said, I’m not here to defend CA, but my experience has been great during my journey.