C++ MinGW install

I am trying to follow along with the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxHLErBLgI8&feature=youtu.be) on installing and setting up MinGW, but I have Windows 8. The video shows the user going to edit environment variables, selecting “Path” under user variables to edit, that opens a new path window, then selecting “new” and there’s just one line to fill with the new path.

When I click “edit” it only gives me the option of editing the current path. If I click “new” it pops up with a little box that has a line for “variable name” and a line for “variable value.” Do I enter “Path” for variable name and “\MinGW\bin” for variable value?

1 Like

The video edits PATH, it doesn’t add a new variable, I assume (not a windows user) that gui splits the variable up when displaying it.

For example my path currently looks like this:

/home/nate/.opam/default/bin:/home/nate/dotfiles/bin:~/home/nate/sync/bin:/home/nate/bin:/home/nate/.local/bin/:/home/nate/.gem/ruby/2.5.0/bin:/home/nate/.cabal/bin:/home/nate/.luarocks/bin:~/home/nate/sync/bin:/home/nate/bin:/home/nate/.local/bin/:/home/nate/.gem/ruby/2.5.0/bin:/home/nate/.cabal/bin:/home/nate/.luarocks/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/home/nate/.npm-packages/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/home/nate/.npm-packages/bin:/home/nate/go/bin:/home/nate/.fzf/bin

And I imagine yours looks similar. Probably a lot shorter, and windows might use a different character to separate the entries.

Hm. And now I spotted a bug in my path… weeird

1 Like

I’m not sure how to add a new path, then. I would only have the option of editing the current one?

You’re not supposed to add a new one