Build "Rock, Paper, Scissors" - What if choice 1 is paper?

Hi, I don't seem to get this right. I tried every possible combination but I could get the correct code in order to procceed.

I have been stuck on this choice1 === paper option for quite some time now

I keep on getting the "unexpected token else" error message every time I add or reduce closing braces. Obviously that's a syntax error

Here is wat my code looks like so far

var compare = function (choice1 ,choice2) {if(choice1 === choice2) {return "The result is a tie!";} else if (choice1 === "rock") {if(choice2 === "scissors") {return "rock wins";};} else {return "paper wins";} else if (choice1 === "paper") {if (choice2 === "rock") {return "paper wins";};} else {return "scissors wins";};};

Can anyone help please?

Hi you should edite your post and post your code so that we could help you.

Yes, just did that. Cheers

This part you closed the else if statement earlier and remove the semicolon you after the closing } of the if statement in your code

else if (choice1 === "rock") {
    if (choice2 === "scissors") {
        return "rock wins";
    }; <-- #remove the ;
}  <-- #Remove this } because it close the else if statement
    else {
	return "paper wins";
    } 
} <-- #Add it here }

the same here

else if (choice1 === "paper") {
    if (choice2 === "rock") {
        return "paper wins";
    };
} 
    else {
        return "scissors wins";
    };
};

its also missing the closing } of the else if statement and remove the ; after teh closing } of the fi statement also to the else statement

follwing your instructions here's how it's supposed to be isn't it?

var compare = function (choice1 ,choice2) {if(choice1 === choice2) {return "The result is a tie!";} else if (choice1 === "rock") {if(choice2 === "scissors") {return "rock wins";} else {return "paper wins";}} else if (choice1 === "paper") {if (choice2 === "rock") {return "paper wins";} else {return "scissors wins";}};

Now you should add one } at the end of your code for closing the compare function

var compare = function(choice1, choice2) {
   //Here put the if , else if and else statement
};

Great!!! That worked thanks a lot!!

Please help me understant; The first part of the first code I pasted (where choice1 === rock and where choice1 and 2 are equal) I put the exact same thing as it was and it was valid. How is that possible with the ;} I put in my else/if statement ?

you can Read more about the it.

Ok cheers. I'll check that out. Thanks a lot.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.