Build Python web apps with Django: Codcademy browser bug

Hi,

I am doing the course Build Python web apps with Django:
https://www.codecademy.com/learn/paths/build-python-web-apps-with-django

I am working on the mini-project The Django Djitney:
https://www.codecademy.com/paths/build-python-web-apps-with-django/tracks/views-in-django/modules/django-writing-more-views/projects/the-django-djitney

As soon as I add any new Views in the views.py file (from step 6 onwards), the browser integrated into the Codecademy interface does not work anymore. More specifically, it just displays a blank page when I reload the home page of the mini-website I am trying to build.
This happened even after I added just the following code in views.py:

class LinesView(ListView):
  model = Line
  template_name = 'routes/lines.html'

I cannot find any explanation for that.

Also, in several of the templates provided, there are code mistakes that I corrected (note that the browser bug happened also before I realised there were some bugs in the HTML templates).
In particular, I noticed a wrong use of quotes around strings in the {% url %} tags used in some templates.

Can anyone please help me?

Thank you very much in advance!

The template_name is ‘routes/add_line.html’ instead of ‘routes/lines.html’, you can find it in the routes template file.

Thank you very much indeed, but unfortunately it still doesn’t work.

Also, I thought that the template routes/add_line.html should have been used for the CreateLineView class, as follows:

class LinesView(ListView):
  model = Line
  template_name = 'routes/lines.html'

class CreateLineView(CreateView):
  model = Line
  form_class = LineForm()
  template_name = 'routes/add_line.html'

Any thoughts about what else could have caused the bug?
Thanks again!

Oops my bad on spotting the wrong parts, hrmm I think the LineForm does not need the () behind since it is imported from the top as LineForm.

1 Like

thank you for spotting my mistake!
However, it does not work anyways.
BUT, as far as I saw while doing the course, when there is even the tiniest mistake the mini-browser shows a blank page.
So, I will go again all over the code to find it, it would be impossible for you to spot it, I reckon you would need to read through the whole thing.
Thank you very much again for the help!!

Hi, I have the same errors, I used “python3 manage.py runserver” in the terminal, so by doing this, I have been able to check the routes in the browser: D. I advanced
only up to step 7, hahah I was frustared because the paths didn work and did all this 7 steps around three times xd. Hope this help you.

1 Like

thank you very much!
I will try do the same, and do the whole exercise once again as soon as I finish with the course.
I’ll keep you posted!

1 Like

To wrap things up, final recommendations:

1. As far as I know, there are no bugs in the mini-browser. You just need to write the code really carefully, even a comma in the wrong place (or a missed comma after a call to path()) m make the browser show a blank page.

2. There are a few mistakes in some of the HTML templates, and these are shown in this .txt file.

3. Finally, it is important to add a success_url in the DeleteLineView, as follows (but this is not indicated in the instructions):

class DeleteLineView(DeleteView):
  model = Line
  template_name = 'routes/delete_line.html'
  success_url = '/lines/'

That is all I know, I will mark this problem as solved.
Thank you very much all for your support!

3 Likes