Build a Text Adventure Challenge Project (C++)

Wanted to figure out a way to let the player choose an option again even if they pick the wrong choice.
Even implemented a way for a player to use an ‘item’ if they find it to unlock a door.

I call this one Mountain Death.

Its my firs “big” program, had a blast learning and making it. Hope you enjoy it and give me some reviews about it.

Proud of her, not close to done yet. feel free to contribute to the story, I’m not the most creative. Codecademy export · GitHub

I made one using switch, and a for loop.
https://github.com/GreyhatDemonlord/text-adventure/blob/main/text-adventure.cpp

I don’t know how to incorporate a loop to my project, I’m open to suggestions.

text-adventure-in-cpp/text-adventure.cpp at main · Oucheoma/text-adventure-in-cpp (github.com)

I don’t know how to incorporate a loop to my project. I’m open to suggestions.

I’ll probably expand on this (silly) project as I become more and more fluent in C++, but here it is:

Already learnt a lot from doing it (like replacing ' with \'s in ASCII art or using cin.ignore and getline)

(Also apologies to anyone who figures out which series of sponsored ads from a D&D live play show this was inspired by haha)

Maybe use for loops to handle when the user enters an invalid option, and after a certain number of failed inputs the program ends?

https://github.com/UBink/text-adventure.cpp/blob/main/text-adventure.cpp

This project was challenging but fun at the same time! If you see anything that I can improve please let me know!

Made a quite time consuming project with a few endings, it’s really interesting to see the more you make it complicated, the more it’s easier to get lost in your code… Sadly i started making comments way too late because i just completely forgot to. Later on i just gave up with more endings and just closed it from start to learn more stuff.

Bread Quest is here.

#include
#include <stdlib.h>
using namespace std;

int main(){
srand(time(NULL));
cout << " A story Based on Stranger Things\n";
cout << “\nChoose your character!\n1) Mike (Fearless, Honesty, Jealousy)\n2) Will (Your bestfriend, Moral support, Kind)\n3) Dustin (Funny, Loud, Always in danger)\n4) Lucas (Always on edge, Hatred, Background character)\n”;
int character;
cin >> character;
while(character < 1 || character > 4){
cout <<“You did not select a valid number. Try again.\n”;
cin >> character;
}
if (character == 1){
cout << “You chose Mike!\n”;
cout << “One day Mike walking in the woods with his friends Will, Dustin and Lucas. They found a random bald -kid like size- person wearing a medical gown and it looks like they’re cover in dust.\nWhat do you want to do?\n1)Run away 2)Ask if they’re okay 3)Call the police\n”;
int choice;
cin >> choice;
if(choice == 1)
cout <<“The group runs away.\nThe end.\n”;
if(choice == 2)
cout <<“Mike: Are you okay?\n() Runs away\n(At least you tried)… The end.\n";
if(choice ==3)
cout <<"(
) *Uses strange supernatural magic and kills Mike and his group burrow beneath tons of trees.\n(Gruesome!)\n”;
}
if (character == 2){
cout << “You chose Will!\n”;
cout << “After a narrowing surviving escape from the dark flying creator in season 1. He and Mike hung around together one day at the mall to meet up with Eleven on a date. You want to go get an ice cream first, but Mike wants to go straight to the carousel with Eleven. Will Mike choose your option or his? (Computer will randomly pick the choices)\n”;

int choice = rand() % 2 + 1;
if (choice == 1)
cout << “YES! Mike is willing to go get an ice cream.\nGood Ending.\n”;
if (choice == 2)
cout << “Unfortunately no, Mike will go with his plan.\nBad Ending.\n”;
}
if (character == 3)
{
cout << “You chose Dustin!\n”;
cout << “Dustin has been busy making his techonological advance device to radio with his buddies. However he wants you to do a radio test to see if it works and also him being a funny guy. Wants you to also guess what number he’s thinking from 0 to 100. Will you accept his challege?\n1) Yes 2) No\n”;
int choice;
cin >> choice;
if (choice == 1){
cout << “You have accepted his challenge!\n”;
int dustinNumber = rand() % 101;
cout << “You have 5 tries to guess!\n”;
int tries = 0;
int guess;
cin >> guess;
while (guess != dustinNumber && tries < 5){
if(guess < dustinNumber)
cout << “higher!\n”;
else
cout <<“lower!\n”;
tries++;
cin >> guess;
}
if (tries == 5 && guess != dustinNumber){
cout << “You failed to guess Dustin’s number. However he admires your confidence.\nOkay ending!\n”;
cout << "Dustin’s number was: " << dustinNumber << endl;
}
else
cout << “You have guessed it! and you earned Dustin’s restpect and fame!\n”;
}
else
cout << “You declined his challenge.\n Lost a Friend ending.\n”;
}
if (character == 4){
cout << “You chose Lucas!\n”;
cout << “Lucas was minding his own business and then suddenly the unthinkable happens. The evil doer from As the gods will spawns in from the sky and challenges Lucas’s life on a flip of a coin and he has 3 chance to get two of the same side or he will explode into a million pieces.\nHowever you have the choice to play. Will you accept his challenge?\n1) Yes 2) No\n”;
int choice;
cin >> choice;
if (choice == 1){
cout << “You have accepted his challenge!\n”;
cout << “What side of the coin do you want to pick? The heads or the tails?\n”;
char pick;
cin >> pick;
if (pick == ‘h’ || ‘H’)
cout << “You picked heads!\n”;
else
cout << “You picked tails!\n”;
cout << “Let the game begin!\n”;
int heads = 0;
int tails = 0;
srand(time(NULL));
int random = 0;
for(int tries = 0; tries < 3; tries++){
random = rand() % 2;
if(random == 0)
heads++;
if(random == 1)
tails++;
}
if (pick == ‘h’ || pick == ‘H’){
if(heads > 1)
cout << “You lived! Good job!\nBallsy ending.\n”;
else
cout << “Unfortunately you lost… and so is your live.\nDead ending.\n”;
}
else if (pick == ‘t’ || pick == ‘T’){
if(tails > 1)
cout << “You lived! Good job!\nBallsy ending.\n”;
else
cout << “Unfortunately you lost… and so is your live.\nDead ending.\n”;
}
else
cout << “The figurine says Understandable and Have a nice day and leave to never return again.\nNo Fun Ending\n”;

}
}
return 0;
}

CPP/text-based-adv.cpp at main · dagogue671/CPP (github.com)

Sonic Mania, (Many endings)

Any ACOTAR fans? Hehe I hope this makes you laugh!

A Forest Adventure! Can you find the way out?

I’ve struggled a lot, but now I’m ready!

I present you: Bitter Like A Lemmon 714

https://github.com/Pablitto153/C-/blob/main/Text-adventure-CodeCademy

#include

using namespace std;

int main() {

// Beginning of the story
cout << "Winter. December 24." << endl;
cout << "It's Christmas, people are in a festive mood." << endl;
cout << "There was a complete crime in the city of Maardu." << endl;
cout << "A young boy was killed behind the school. The police arrived at the crime scene." << endl;
cout << "The victim was a young boy, about 14 yeasrs old, with puncture wounds in the abdomen." << endl;
cout << endl;

int branch;

cout << "Police found the murder weapon: " << endl;
cout << "1) Carrot" << endl; // branch1
cout << "2) Pencil" << endl; // branch2
cout << "3) Knife" << endl;  // branch3
cout << endl;
cout << "Choose the weapon" << endl;

cin >> branch;

// Branch 1.
if (branch == 1) {
	cout << "The detective examined the body. There were 7 puncture wounds in the body of the dead boy." << endl;
	cout << "The wounds were round and symmetrical, so it can't be a knife, so what is it ?" << endl;
	cout << "Police officers inspected the area and found a container, that was used to store crushed stone. " << endl;
	cout << "We found a ■■■■■■ carrot in that container." << endl;
	cout << "The boy was killed while he was going to training." << endl;
	cout << "The killer was not a man, his footprints in the snow looked like a circle." << endl << endl;
	cout << "Who could be a murder?" << endl;
	cout << endl;

int murder1 = 0;

cout << "1) Snowman." << endl <<
			"2) Classmate." << endl <<
			"3) Stepfather." << endl;
		cout << endl;
		cin >> murder1;

// The snowman story
	if (murder1 == 1) {
		cout << "A few days later, the detective found a snowman standing in a field behind the school without a carrot in his nose." << endl;
		cout << "The detective went to the police station and took away the evidence(carrot)." << endl;
		cout << "When detective arraived behind the school, snowman was still there." << endl;
		cout << "Detective approached the snowman and inserted the evidence(carrot) into the missing place." << endl; 
		cout << "And snowman started to fight with detective." << endl;
		cout << "The snowman took the carrot into his branches and began to hit the detective with it like a knife." << endl;
		cout << "The detective took off the snowman's head with one precise blow. The Snowman on the snow." << endl;
		cout << endl;
		cout << "!=================================!" << endl;
		cout << endl;
		cout << "The snowman turned out to be the boy's killer. It was clear from the camera." << endl;
		cout << "Some magicians had built a snowman at lunchtime." << endl;
		cout << "The snowman came to life and killed one boy. After which the detective found him and blew his head off." << endl;

return 0;
	}
	// The classmate story
	else if (murder1 == 2) {
		cout << "The detective could not suspect the classmate whom the murdered boy had bullied." << endl;
		cout << "The classmate whom the detective interviewed turned out to be the best friend of the murdered boy." << endl;
		cout << "They have been friedns with him since kindergarten." << endl;
		cout << "And classmate said we always bullied each other, but only in a friendly way." << endl;
		cout << "No evidence was found on the classmate." << endl;
		cout << endl;
		cout << endl;
		cout << "The killer is not a classmate." << endl;

return 0;
	}
	// The stepfather story
	else if (murder1 == 3) {
		cout << "The detective interviewed the mother of the murdered boy." << endl;
		cout << "She said the boy lived with me and his stepfather, becauce his father had left for another country." << endl;
		cout << "The detective also interviewed the stepfather." << endl;
		cout << "He said he was at work from morning to evening and came home very late." << endl;
		cout << "And he loved the boy and treated the boy well." << endl;
		cout << "The boys's mother confirmed stepfather's words." << endl;
		cout << "And also the stepfather was at work on the day of the murder, this was confirmed by his colleagues." << endl;
		cout << endl;
		cout << endl;
		cout << "The killer is not the stepfather." << endl;

return 0;
	}

}

// Branch 2
if (branch == 2) {
	cout << "The detective, after examining the body, asked experts how he was killed." << endl;
	cout << "Experts said the puncture wounds were small, round and symmetrical." << endl;
	cout << "A few minutes later, a police officer ran up to the detective and said he have found the murder weapon." << endl;
	cout << "It turned out to be a ■■■■■■ pencil that the policeman have found in the snow." << endl << endl;
	cout << endl;
	cout << "The detective began to suspect two people." << endl;
	cout << "Choose one who could be the murder ?" << endl;
	cout << endl;

int murder1;

cout << "1) Labor techer" << endl; // Trudovik
	cout << "2) Classmate" << endl; // Terpila 
	cout << endl;

cin >> murder1;
	// Trudovik's story
	if (murder1 == 1) {
		cout << "The detective who suspected the labor teacher, summoned him to the police station for questioning." << endl;
		cout << "Trudovik said he celebrated Christmas with his family." << endl;
		cout << "Also he said that Trudovik and father of the murdered man are good friends." << endl;
		cout << "The murdered boy for Trudovik was like his own son." << endl;

return 0;
	}
	// Classmate's story
	else if (murder1 == 2) {
		cout << "The detective interviewed the parants of murdered boy." << endl;
		cout << "They said that teachers complained about the boy, because he bullied and spread bad rumors about a classmate." << endl;
		cout << "The detective went to the home of a boy who was being bullied. His parents said he hasn't returned from training yet." << endl;
		cout << "The detective said they found a ■■■■■■ pencil and it was taken for examination." << endl;
		cout << "Classmate haven't came at home after training." << endl;
		cout << "The detective began to looking for him. Experts called to the detective and said that they found fingerprints on a pancil." << endl;
		cout << "And these fingerprints were from the classmate who was bullied by the murdered boy." << endl;
		cout << "Police found the killer in the forest a couple of days later." << endl;

return 0;
	}

}

// Branch 3 
if (branch == 3) {

// Killer's story
	cout << "The detective examined the body. There were 7 puncture wounds on the body." << endl;
	cout << "It looked like the blows were inflicted with a knife." << endl;
	cout << "The assumption was correct, because they found the ■■■■■■ knife in the trash nearby." << endl;
	cout << endl;
	cout << "Part 1. Parents." << endl;
	cout << "The detective immediately went to the parents of the murdered boy." << endl;
	cout << "There was only his mother at home. The detective told her about the murder and asked where is the father?" << endl;
	cout << "She said he is stepfather and he is coming home soon after work." << endl;
	cout << "She said stepfather very angry with the boy, because boy's father call him quite often" << endl; 
	cout << "and takes his when it is convenient for him." << endl;
	cout << "After the child returns from his father, he behaves aggressively, misbehaves and doesn't listen." << endl;
	cout << "And when the stepfather drinks, he starts yelling at the child and sometimes hits him." << endl;
	cout << "Father returned home after work. He was met by a detective." << endl;
	cout << "The detective began the interrogation. Stepfather said he was at work when the murder happened." << endl;
	cout << "He said he didn't killed him." << endl;
	cout << endl;
	cout << "Part 2. Gey friend." << endl;
	cout << "There was murdered boy's friend and detective called him. They met in the park." << endl;
	cout << "Detective began to ask him about their friendship. That friend turned out to be a gey." << endl;
	cout << "There was no relationship between them. His friend said that they have been friends since childhood." << endl;
	cout << "He was celebrating Christmas with his parents at home when the murder happened." << endl;
	cout << "But friend said that boy had a problems with the weed. Friend said the name of the drag dealer." << endl;
	cout << "The murdered boy bought weed from him." << endl;
	cout << endl;
	cout << "Part 3. Drag dealer." << endl;
	cout << "Police caught a drug dealer and brought him to the police station for questioning." << endl;
	cout << "The detective met him in the interrogation room." << endl;
	cout << "The detective told him about the murder, he showed a picture of the murdered boy." << endl; 
	cout << "The drag dealer recognized the boy." << endl;
	cout << "But he asked to be released after interrogation, then he would tell what heppened." << endl;
	cout << "After interrogation the detective released the drug dealer, because he told him everythiing." << endl;
	cout << "Drag dealer said that murdered boy had a problems with his stepfather and he tried to smoke weed." << endl;
	cout << "Then he found drag dealer and wanted to by some weed, but drag dealer refused him." << endl;
	cout << endl;

int true_killer = 0;

for (int x = 0; x < 4 && true_killer != 1 && true_killer != 2 && true_killer != 3; ++x) {
		cout << "1) Drag dealer." << endl <<
			"2) Gey friend." << endl <<
			"3) Alcoholic stepfather." << endl;
		cin >> true_killer;
	}
	// Wrong valid choice
	if (true_killer != 1 && true_killer != 2 && true_killer != 3) {

cout << "Sorry you haven't entered a valid choice." << endl;

return 0;
	}
	// True valid choice
	else if (true_killer == 3) {
		cout << "Yes, you are right. The killer of that young boy is his stepfather." << endl;
		cout << "We found his fingerprints on the knife." << endl;
		cout << "And also his boss said that he went somewhere during the work." << endl;
		cout << "THE END" << endl;

return 0;
	}
	// Drag dealer ?
	else if (true_killer == 1) {
		cout << "No, drag dealer is not a killer. He saw the boy only once." << endl;

return 0;
	}
	// Wrong killer
	else {
		cout << "Unfortunately, you haven't found the killer." << endl;

return 0;