Bug in 4/16

Hello everyone.
There is a bug in 4. It's asking mi for [5]letter of word MONTY. But MONTY has [4] letters. How am I go through this exercise ?

PS: Hint told me that the correct answer is "Y"... but it a lie !

It's asking mi for [5]letter of word MONTY. But MONTY has [4] letters.

First letter - M.
Second letter - O.
Third letter - N.
Fourth letter - T.
Fifth letter - Y.

What's the problem?

~I wrote [5] because it's index of table...

We start indexing letters in strings from 0, that's true, but it does not mean that suddenly word "MONTY" has only four letters.

It simply means that the fifth letter is at index 4 :slight_smile:

Do you understand now that this is not a bug?

Yeah. I know it. You don't understand me. word MONTY has 5 letters right ? But the last letter is at index 4. Exercise ask me for letter at index 5 from MONTY word

Exercise ask me for letter at index 5 from MONTY word

That is a lie. This is quote from instructions:

On line 13, assign the variable fifth_letter equal to the fifth letter of the string "MONTY".

They even gave you a direct hint:

Remember that the fifth letter is not at index 5. Start counting your indices from zero.

Hint gave me a recipe how to done exercise. I know what am I write into.

But...

Oops, try again.
Remember to use the string "MONTY" (all caps!) in your code.

Yeah. I use exactly MONTY and assign

fifth_letter = "Y"

OKAY. I got it. I try to output Y as fifth_letter. Then I try to assign fifth_letter to MONTY but it has no sence. Now I know what the author want for me.

It's silly because it's easy. Sorry for problem @factoradic . Don't be nervous on me :wink:

I'm glad that you understand this now :slight_smile:

I am not angry or annoyed. Forgive me if I gave you this impression. I am here only to help users, there is nothing I could be angry for :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.