Best SQL package for Mac, please

Hello all and Merry Chirtmas everyone :smiley:

I am learning to use SQL and have so far dowloaded two packages while BigSur was still the OS: package 1, XAMPP, followed all instructions but couldn’t find MySQL; package 2, official prebuilt MySQL package, no joy again.

All this was done on Safari, I’ve no idea if that has any bearing; I’m at a point where I need to move on with my learning but can’t find a way to get SQL on my Mac and I’m genuinely considering buying a cheap Windows laptop (but don’t want to, not really).

I’m properly stuck. Any suggestions as to what works best?

I’m currently downloading Monterey, just in case it makes a difference.

Thank you so much for your help and have a wonderful day!
Ele

Does it need to be mysql? I’ve used postgres on mac which has it’s own wee app options. PostgreSQL: macOS packages

I would highly suggest using a package manager on mac if you’re not already doing so (something like homebrew or macports). They tend to offer much easier installs (and maintenance) no matter which one you need :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

Thank you for replying!

It has to be MySQL because it’s one of the topics I’m learning, so I have to start from that one for now; later on I’ll be able to branch out with other stuff as well :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

As @tgrtim mentioned, homebrew, or simply brew, offers a very easy way to get the right packages and it also helps you maintain them.
If you are not already using the terminal on your mac, I can highly recommend it. My daily driver is a MacBook Pro and my main way of looking for software is homebrew.

Let me give you a quick rundown of the commands:

/keyword/
brew 
/commands/
brew update
#checks for updates for your currently installed packages
brew upgrade
#installs the upgrades if there are any
brew search ____
#checks if a package is available with brew
brew info ____
#provides some information about the package

These are the basic commands that you will likely use the most.
There is more information to be found at the website.
I also went ahead and checked brew for you - mysql is available there :slight_smile:

I hope this helps
Happy holidays! :christmas_tree:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the suggestion, I will have a look first thing tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face: