=begin and =end return 'nil'

So I'm at the part for begin and end, and my code keeps returning back nil, but still allowing me to progress. I just want to make sure I'm writing it correctly despite the bad result.

=begin
I'm code!
=end

And no, there are no spaces after begin and end. It returns nil. What do.

Yes I'm having the same issue to.

Hi Tylerwarbucks and @patrickbetamax,

This post in the old forums explains it pretty well I think:

nil is the Ruby object that represents nothingness. Whenever a method doesn’t return a useful value, it returns nil

You'll be seeing nil after pretty much every time you run your code in this course, so don't worry about it :)

Actually, it does not return nil, as much as there is not a return value so Ruby reports this as nil for 'no return'. Minor semantics, so long as we recognize that the callee doesn't return nil.

actually it doesn't only show nil but it says "Oops, try again. It looks like you didn't include =begin. Make sure there's no space between the equals sign and the word begin!" but doesn't have any error.

@scriptjumper48738

Oops, try again. It looks like you didn't include =begin. Make sure there's no space between the equals sign and the word begin!

That is the error. Please create a new topic if you need help.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.