Battleship 3/19 "Make a List"

I'm a bit confused here. I seem to be getting the right output on the console, (5 x 5 grid of "O"'s), but I get the following error message:

Here is the code I used:

board = []
for i in range(0,5):
    board.append("O")
for z in range(0,5):
    print board

Output looks like this:

['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']
None

With your code, the value of board is:

["O", "O", "O", "O", "O"]

What you did here is you printed this 5 times, but the workspace wants you to store this output in a list. Try:

board = []
# range(5) is a shortcut for range(0, 5)
for i in range(5):
    board.append(5 * ["O"]) # this appends a list of five "O" strings
for z in board:
    for y in z:
      print y
    print # blank line

Or if they want exactly what you outputted, replace the last three lines with "[tab] print z".

Oh, perfect, thanks so much!

Just to make sure, when I submit this, it is accepted by the tutorial, however, the output no longer appears to be 5 x 5 grid:

O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O

Whoops! I made that error!
In the line that says print y add a single comma after the "y". That's all.

Awesome, that worked - thanks so much for your help today mathwizzy!

hi...If i add single comma also, i couldnt able to get output

Why does adding a single comma after the "y" change it. It chnages it from vertical list to Horizontal. I can't get why that happens.

board = []

for n in range(5):
board.append(["O"] * 5)

print board

doesn't look like you'd expect, if your expecting perfect rows. But this is what the lesson asked for. Formatting is handled later.

How the print statement works is that if you add a comma, it's expecting another output. Python tries to be smart by adding an extra space:

print "Hello", "World"
>>> Hello World

So if you don't put anything after the comma, Python expects another output, so it puts the next output on the same line and adds a space.

how about to use

one single line code version:

board = [["O" for x in range(5)] for y in range(5)]

or

board = [[] for i in range(5)]
for i in range(5):
board[i] = ["O","O","O","O","O"]

??

Everyone's problem here arises from the fact that the instructions in 3/19 already ask you to create a 5x5 grid, implying the need for rows, when in fact, it wants you to create a list.

Then, in 5/19 it wants you to turn that list into a grid! These are the instructions from 5/19:
"Now we can see the contents of our list, but clearly it would be easier to play the game if we could print the board out like a grid with each row on its own line."

This creates issues when the user gets penalised for creating a grid too early, when in fact, that is what the overall instructions of 3/19, even though the step by step instructions don't go that far.

These are the codes i submitted. It worked for the question 3/19.

I don't quite understand why the COMMA will do the trick, can you explain to me what did the comma did for the print? Thx :wink:

In a print statement, a comma is to Python what a non-breaking space ( ) is to HTML. They both suppress line breaks.

In a row by row, col by col iteration with only one string object output per cycle, a comma would be needed to hold the print pencil in it's current position on the line. The presents with a different problem, how to break up the single line that will result.

Eg.

for row in rows:
    print
    for col in row:
        print "O ",

The code might not be right, but you get the idea. Start each outer loop with a print to reset the pencil (as I call it).

Thanks @mtf ! with your explanation now I understand how it works. :smile:

I don't understand why all the above answers are leaving out the function
def print_board(board): that the question asks for. Does another for loop replace the function?

the lesson is a bit silly there!

The OP marked it solved in post #4. After that it's just been discussion.

that's very helpful thankyou :smiley:

your solution is much more elegant than I thought to use:

count = 0
while (count < 5):
    print ["O"] * 5
    count = count + 1