At what point do you stop working on your portfolio and skills and do nothing but apply?

Hi community,

We come here and we study and gain skills and also study outside of Codecademy a bit more and also build our profiles and portfolios. It actually eats up a lot of time to do these things.

Eventually, we also want to write tens or hundreds of tailor-made resumes and applications to various employers. Surprisingly, it takes also a lot of time to do these things.

So at what point do you do nothing but make applications day after day? If you dont have enough value you might not be able to negotiate a good salary with your employer but if you dont study enough or have a good portfolio to show for it you might not have enough value!

The answer to this question is very important to me right now, because I have to keep on justifying every strategic and financial decision I make to the people who support me, who criticize and question every decision I make and compare me to other people who have succeeded and failed. Including decisions such as paying for codecademy.

I’m sorry that your support network isn’t being very emotionally supportive for you. That’s a tough position to be in.

I think you can do both. Say for example, research companies, prepare for interviews & apply to positions that interest you in the mornings and study in the afternoons (or whatever works best for you). Learning is ongoing and learning more is not detrimental; it can only help you. You’ve put a lot of time and effort into the DS path and have learned quite a bit. Keep on learning and following things that interest you. Side projects are definitely something that you can discuss in interviews.

1 Like

Hey there,

That’s a bit of a tough one, and I don’t personally have a definitive answer.

I can’t speak for everyone, every market, every employer, nor take into account cultural differences.

But I’d say start applying as soon as you’re comfortable with your skillset, and have a decent enough portfolio showcasing what you can do today.

If you were, say, looking for an entry-level position as a junior front-end developer specialized in React, having one or two projects to show would be good enough. As regards specific requirements, you’ll have to check out job descriptions.

The hardest thing in today’s market is that there are countless juniors eager to get going, but much fewer employers willing to give them a chance to join, learn, grow and develop their skills.

So you’ll have to stand out from the crowd. Either technically, or through your story. Can’t stress enough the importance of a kick-a** cover letter.

You could divide your time between sending applications, and brushing up your skills.

Don’t hesitate to apply to smaller companies that might not pay as well, but that might be more eager to give you a chance.

If you’re feeling confident today, start applying asap.

I genuinely hope it works out, and that you’ll prove them wrong.
All the best Alex.

1 Like