Asking for raw_input when defining functions

I was doing the last sections for the lesson functions (19.)
I tried to be a little creative with my code and tried:

def distance_from_zero(x):
    if type(x) == int or type(x) == float:
        return abs(x)
    else:
        return "Nope"

print distance_from_zero(raw_input)

However, the interpreter is still evaluating my code to print "Nope".

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance
:slightly_smiling:

raw_input is a function, it's not an int and it's not a float, so your function says Nope.

If you want the raw_input to do something, how do you execute a function? And would it give you integers or floats? Or would you have to do some converting first?

Ah, thanks. That answers my question.

In regards to the questions you're asking me, I don't quite understand. But you've responded with is sufficient.

Thanks again

A function is executed by calling it. We do that by adding () after the name.

raw_input returns a string, but your function expects a float, or an int. So the string would need to be parsed by either the float type or the int type before you can send that input to your function.

Sorry for the v. late reply. That gave me a better understanding. Could you tell me how I'd go about parsing the string input to float or an int?

@tes_py: To convert a string to number, like an integer, you'll need to use the function int() and for float, float().
Here's an example:

Best regards,
G4be

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant with raw input() function. How do I parse a string to a float or an int with the raw input() function?

@tes_py: You'll get the input from the user using raw_input() and all you'll need to do is to put that same function inside either of int() or float()

Best regards,
G4be