Ask an Instructor: Jumpstart Your Career in Tech

Hello! Ask an Instructor sessions are specifically run through threads. We have members of the curriculum team with a variety of specializations (data science, web development, computer science, etc.), this format allows people to answer questions simultaneously in which they can draw on those specific strengths.

If we are putting on a video-based event, which does happen, we will advertise it as a livestream on our Discord or through YouTube.

I am currently working on SRS & proposal for my project.

Thinking on Flutter and Firebase

oke, thank you for the info

Hi all,

Like others, I also wasn’t expecting an “AMA / live forum” meeting, but that’s okay I can roll with it.

My question is about the certificates with Codecademy. Sort of like the prompt asks,
“Do completion certificates really matter?” And if so, what is the threshold for inclusion on our resume or Linkedin? Surely the “Choosing a Career In Tech” certificate isn’t supposed to be listed among others, so what is the cutoff for what “matters” and what doesn’t when it comes to pure learning vs list-able achievements?

2 Likes

I am still on meeting with stakeholders to take more specification and requirements.

Hi!

I’m looking to make a transition from QA to Back-end, I’m currently doing the Computer Science path and then I’m going to do the Back-end Developer path.

Should I redo my LinkedIn page? I don’t have experience with the actual development of a product, but as QA I’d learn to work in a software development cycle and agile methodologies plus coding experience from automation testing.

And what kind of projects should I showcase?

1 Like

Sounds like you have a really good start – doing stakeholder meetings is an important initial step. At this stage, all I can really suggest is to go into those meetings with a good sense of your own ideas of the scope/bandwidth for the project. Sometimes those meetings can end up ballooning requirements. Be careful to define what the basic functionality is versus things that would be nice to have, so you can focus your efforts on the most important aspects (or whatever the graduation requirements are, of course!)

Good luck with your project!

1 Like

Great question! The shortest answer would be whenever you feel ready. That’s going to be different for everyone. The Full Stack Career Journey is a great path to getting yourself job ready and it will expose you to a breadth of knowledge that you’ll need for a full-stack role, but if you feel confident applying for a job go for it! You can always continue learning as you’re going through the candidacy process.

It’s also a great idea to continue building projects on your own. If you haven’t built anything independently yet, recreating simple versions of apps that you already use is a great way to start. For example a to-do list or notes app, games like tic-tac-toe, things like that. Once you feel confident building smaller apps you can start working on larger projects. Build things that you are excited about. Open source projects are also a great way to build your collaboration skills and work in an existing code base. Two skills that will be invaluable in any tech career. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

I’d like some tips or advice; I’ve been in the software testing field for quite some years now (about 12 years) and I’m gaining more and more test automation (working) experience…For the last few years I’ve managed to fulfill several roles as a freelance software tester. At a certain moment in time, I’d like to switch to Full Stack Sofware Engineering, without necessarily handing in too much of my income…I live in the Netherlands; would you advice/recommend a certain approach to realize this?

Hey @ricardoafonso8319749, your LinkedIn page should reflect your past work experience no matter what field it was in. While you may not have experience in actual development, your skills in QA can definitely be useful in a developer role once you get one. As for projects, you should showcase anything you have worked on that you feel is relevant to a role you intend to apply to.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for being here!

Certificates are a good way to show experience and mastery of a certain subject, but you’re right that certain certificates will look “better” on a resume than others. For example, a certificate from a Career Path or Career Journey will look more impressive than a certificate in Choosing a Career in Tech.

I’d say deciding the cut-off for what “matters” or not is pretty subjective. If you’re applying to a data science job, a certificate in Prompt Engineering for Analytics would be better than one for a Full Stack Path, and if you’re applying for a front-end developer role, the Full Stack certificate will look better than the Prompt Eng for Analytics one.

My advice is to look at the requirements for the roles you’re looking at and choose which certificates to include on your resume accordingly.

2 Likes

I also have the same question!

Hi, so I am currently kick starting my career in Data Science and wanted advise on how to go ahead. I was looking at all the DS Career Paths that you offer, is there any way to choose one specifically and just see if it works for you or just trial and error until you find what you like.
Further, what sort of portfolio projects should I complete apart from the ones covered in the Paths.
Also, is there any need for me to do say the CS Path as well as I am not from a STEM Background.

PS. I am also pursuing the Full stack path as that is something I already know the basics of and have around 3 months of no work and can devote my time, full-time!

1 Like

Answered by Melanie here!

You may want to check out our new Full Stack Chapter!

From the Chapter page:

This is Codecademy’s official Full-Stack Chapter. This page lists our upcoming events, including live study sessions and AMAs.

Who is this for?

Whether you’re currently taking the Full-Stack career path, already working in the industry, or just curious where to begin, join our new Full-Stack community chapter to dive into all things full-stack engineering. To become an official member and reap all the benefits, there are two steps:

Step 1: You must join this chapter.

Step 2: Create a Forums account. We will directly add you to our exclusive space. Accepted members will be added once a week.

1 Like

I am in my final year at university, any advice to be ready for my career and find a good offer?

Hi! Is it true that software engineering is more than just about code, it also includes designing solutions and documenting it. What other skills are necessary other than coding? I am not talking about the business side of it. Thank you.

what most coding does computer science or software enginieering at college?
currently working as DB admin and many random things would like to study some degree in my free time, something more related to coding itself

Hi! Welcome to the Data Science world :slight_smile:

All of our main DS career paths listed on this page start with exactly the same foundational material. Then, once you’ve completed the foundational material, you can pick a specialization or switch between specializations. So my recommendation would be start off with either the Machine Learning or Analytics specialization, and then if you decide you want to do a different type of DS, you can switch at that half-way point!

Another option is to just start with our DS Foundations Skill Path which is all the basic skills that anyone doing any kind of DS need to know. Then, once you finish that, you could pick a career path, knowing more about the industry from taking the Skill Path.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi there!
I’m interested in starting a career in technical writing. So far, I’ve been doing documentation open source contributions and writing for FreecodeCamp, but it seems that entry-level roles want someone with 5+ years of experience. I wonder what else I can do to stand out.

2 Likes