Argument self meaning

<PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING TEMPLATE TO HELP YOU CREATE A GREAT POST!>

<Below this line, add a link to the EXACT exercise that you are stuck at.>
https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python/lessons/classes/exercises/modifying-member-variables?action=lesson_resume&link_content_target=interstitial_undefined

<In what way does your code behave incorrectly? Include ALL error messages.>

<What do you expect to happen instead?>
What does self exactly do please?

I know in theory that the class use self to define itself. But in the below situation, in drive_car(self) method, I used condition = 'used' (which error), instead of self.condition = 'used'. Because we already have condition = 'new stands alone without self.condition on line 2.

In brief, self.blahblah appears so arbitrarily to me…

Please help

```python

class Car(object):
condition = "new"
def init(self, model, color, mpg):
self.model = model
self.color = color
self.mpg = mpg

def display_car(self):
print “This is a %s %s with %s MPG.” % (self.color, self.model, str(self.mpg))

def drive_car(self):
self.condition = ‘used’

my_car = Car(“DeLorean”, “silver”, 88)

print my_car.condition
my_car.drive_car()
print my_car.condition

<do not remove the three backticks above>

Hi @arrayninja24186,

Because self is the first parameter in this method header …

def drive_car(self):

… it will refer to the instance of Car from which the drive_car method is called whenever that method is called. For example, during this call …

my_car.drive_car()

self refers to the same object as my_car. Within the method, this statement creates an instance variable for my_car named condition, and assigns it the value 'used'

self.condition = ‘used’

However, this statement that precedes the __init__ method header defines condition as a class variable, since it does not reside within any method …

condition = "new"

Only one copy of that variable exists for the Car class and all its instances. It is not the same variable as the instance variable that has the same name.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.