Are there different categories in Web Development?

Question

Are there different categories in Web Development?

Answer

Yes, in Web Development there are three main categories which are Front-end, Back-end, and Full-stack Web Development.

Front-end
This category mainly deals with the presentation and design of a website and includes concepts such as user interaction and experience. Some of the most commonly used languages for this category are HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

Back-end
Back-end development deals mainly with what goes on “behind the scenes” of a website or web application, such as the databases, servers, and logical components. These are usually not part of the presentation or visible to users. One common language used for back-end development is SQL, which works with databases.

Full-stack
Full-stack Web Development is a combination of both Front-end and Back-end development. It deals with the entire ‘stack’ of tasks and technologies in the development process.

303 Likes

thank you this course gone be really intersting to learn with all this feedbacks!!! :grinning:

21 Likes

I could’nt have said it better. :smiley:

7 Likes

Do you know a good system or article on how to set up a website or web game?

1 Like

Hello,
It is a very broad question. What do you mean by setting up a website? If you think of your local machine, then creating a text file “index.html” and adding some text to it is considered a web page and could be called a locally served website.

If you wish to set up a remote web site then you’ll need a server (physical or virtual) or get some web space from one of thousands of hosting companies.

With the first option (any type of server) you’d have to know how to set up and run one and use languages like SQL, Python, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and even have a working understanding of Linux.

The second option is always cheaper and easier. Having your website hosted gives you right tools for the job: a hosting panel to control your server and files, a CMS, like WordPress, to serve your files and web site. You’d have to have basic understanding of HTML and CSS to launch your web site this way.

Here is a nice resource to start working with HTML on your PC:

Hope it helps :smiley: smiley:

P.S. Here is a nice intro from Mozilla:

15 Likes

Another interesting thing to mention is the use of frameworks and underlying languages. Those can be used for front-end (jQuery\React with JavaScript and bootstrap with CSS), meaning that the page is updated in client’s browser and back-end (Django\Flask with Python) to serve larger projects, meaning that the page is updated on the server.

Usually a mixture of both approaches is used, that’s why learning full-stack is my personal goal.

Cheerio :smiley:

7 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: FAQ: Languages for Web Development - Adding Hyperlinks

do they have different salary too?

It does make sense when you explain it this way. Thank you

Hi, newbie here :slight_smile:

How to understand what category I want to learn - front, back or fullstack? Any suggestions? Or it’s better to get understanding on full stack and then decide what I like more?

Genrally big business will prefer someone specialized in a language. you know: " knows everything, master of nothing"

1 Like

Right, that makes sense. I guess it’s all about experience anyway and later I could choose what I prefer…I hope :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for this, neat and straight to the point

1 Like

Thanks for the clear explanation of the types of web development. Is it possible to start in Front-End and work on becoming Full-Stack down the line?
Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for this clarification. this is very simple and informative

1 Like

Well put! I like the simplicity and precise. :ok_hand:

This is a good journey, but i can already imagine the hurdle one would have to overcome.

Now I understand the differences between them. Thank you a lot.

1 Like

Learn HTML first. It is the easiest language to learn, and is the foundation of every website on the web. I suggest/recommend HTML Black Book, by Steven Holzner (2000). It is very easy to read and understand. There are topics ranging from basic–>advanced. The book is over 20 years old, but probably > 90% of it contains information still relevant today. (Just checked Amazon, you can get a used copy for $4.44). Happy coding!

~ JMFS

2 Likes

thanks a mill for this response. Really cleared some things up for me. :man_mage:t3:

1 Like