Application of programming

Hi, so I recently began learning how to code. However, I’m finding it difficult to retain what I learnt and how to apply it to my daily life. Also, I find some questions a bit tough e.g R language. I’ll appreciate if anyone can give me tips on how to improve myself and understand the concept of programming better. Thank you

Welcome to the forums, @text8259772388.

In few words: time, patience, and practice. As you wrote, you only recently began learning.

If you were learning, I don’t know… Portuguese, you wouldn’t expect to be fluent and engage in conversation straight away. You’d start with a few words, sentences, and so forth.

Same goes for programming languages. Variables, conditionals, functions, etc.

The important thing is to take your time to really get the fundamentals right.
We can’t learn for you, so you’ll have to figure out what best helps you in the process.
Is it taking notes? Reviewing a chapter several times? Getting real-world examples?

If you want to dive deeper into learning programming (not just a language’s syntax), you could read this book (online & free), or watch these video lectures.

Q: What drew you to R, specifically? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. Well I just finished the basic of programming and randomly selected it. Also, it involves data collating which interest s me. I’ll keep your response in mind

Another good way to learn is to practise what you’ve learned by doing projects. These can be as big or small as you want, but they are a very good way to help cement your knowledge.

1 Like