Anyone land a career with ONLY a codecademy education?

If so, share your success story and how long it took you. If not, what additional resources did you need to land a job?

2 Likes

This is a great question! I can’t wait to see the responses :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Define a career? I know someone that used it specifically to gain some knowledge to get an apprenticeship as a Software Dev. It was also an apprenticeship that didn’t require any previous knowledge. That said having knowledge would have made him a stronger candidate. So not sure if you’d count that.

3 Likes

I don’t know anyone who did, but I’d say that it’s very unlikely. There are just too many complex and advanced topics not covered in Codecademy courses. Of course, they have created many, many PRO courses for certain languages and lots of interesting Skill Paths, and in that case I’d say there might be a handful of people who were able to get somewhere with just that, but in general it would appear to me that you’d need lots of actual coding time, several learning sources, and be very skilled at googling and looking things up on stackoverflow to be able to land an entire career.

A good mechanic never credits his tools, but neither do they ever blame them. Any skill is learned by doing. A chef with years in the kitchen can still mess up a soufle or a poached egg, even.

Some people through their own drive will acquire employment after taking courses offered here. They are driven, and came with the right attitude going forward. They deserve to succeed and they will.

Paid for or not, this is not a meal ticket and nor is it handed to us on a plate. If we don’t WANT IT, then it is all just tinker toys.

4 Likes

I am presently working as a software engineer at a major bank.

I got lots of useful instruction and practice in various languages here on Codecademy with paid pro_ subscription.

I also have a math degree, experience as a network engineer in the Army, and an affinity for computing since childhood.

This doesn’t quite count but while I was completing the Python3 Codecademy course I received a the google foo.bar challenge which I sadly failed since I had not acquired the necessary skills to become a full python dev.

No way an experienced chef mess up a poached egg or souffle trust me :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :rofl:

Good of you to refute that suggestion! How about the other 98 ways to cook an egg?

2 Likes

it was not my intention to refute what you said was just to play down :wink: :joy:

That’s the difference between a chef who knows how to do cook an egg and a programmer who never stop learning new thing… ~YOUR TOWNSHIP CHEF :egg: :egg: :egg:

Yet the statement did just that. It’s not a bad thing; ergo, I thanked you. That was not facetious, but genuine.

We learn from our mistakes, that much is assumed. Mess up scrambled eggs and yer arse is grass, but, we get the chance to do it again. A chef and a programmer are not that far apart. They both go on to crack another egg.

1 Like

I absolutely agree with the important thing and learn from your mistakes and don’t fall back on them in programming as in anything else.

here i come with another question does anyone think is possible to land a tech job without even a college/medium school/diploma? not talking about high education

Yes. There are provisos. Any talent seeker will be able to spot diamonds in the rough. Some still get missed, so must shine through on their own motivation.

1 Like

Nice to hear that a was a bit wonder i had to get back to college so lost another two years into it… :frowning:

Even in isolation we can draw on the internet. Using CC or other MOOCs lets us do that along a planned path. There’s stuff to pick up along the way in any regard. Learners who determine their aim and stay with it to some resolve keep progressing. Things like doubt, boredom and/or distractions can derail the learning process. Learners know they are up against this and fight past it.

3 Likes

Hello sholomkeller,

At the moment I am a network engineer and trying to transition into a software engineer role. I have no experience coding at the moment but I’m willing to learn. How did you manage to make the transition?

Codecademy doesn’t even hire people who pay for their product lol … no I have never seen someone get a job on this alone. If they did extremely lucky or it wasn’t requiring experience. Every software developer I know right now who has a job went to a good college. And no people I don’t want to hear you made 5,000 on upwork last year lol. I mean a job over 100,000 students coming out of top colleges are going to get the best jobs. This field is so saturated right now and impossible for people like me who don’t have college computer science degrees.

If they don’t have your imagination then they can’t fill your place.

3 Likes

Zucherburg stole FB from his friends. Where are they now?