Anyone else feel like there are gaps here?

Just wondering if it's just me or if anyone else feels like once they hit "for loops" there is a lack of information provided?

For loops was pretty much "Look at this. It's a for loop! Congratulations, you have mastered for loops!".
Practice consists of changing 1 number several times. Then you are expected to start slapping the fully written piece into arrays. Oh by the way, we haven't talked about "hits" or "push" but we expect you know what that is and how it all works so have at it.

I'm obviously noobing over here, but as a noob I have found hardly any help in the errors the program gives and find I spend most of my time on each section browsing through the help forum with everyone else, reading the help and "answers" from folks who are less than happy to provide those things.

Again, mayor of Noobville here. Just curious if anyone else feels the same.

To the ones helping the others in the forum with an encouraging non-attitudinal tone, it's super appreciated.

which steps should be in between then?

push you used before, in your search text for your name section. Hits must surely be covered as well?

For loop practice:
Steps in between, none. Practice, however, more. Actually writing out the code several times and seeing work would be a great deal of help, especially if given "scenarios" like in prior lessons.

Hits and push are covered in a single exercise when you find your name in the section on arrays. They pop up out of no where, very slim on any explanation of what they are or why they should be important. Conclusions can be drawn from titles but threw me for a loop (no pun intended) for a minute while trying to remember everything up to this point.

Which could be another point. For a while the lessons build on each other, as I'm going forward, there seems to be plenty of time between practice of everything that's been learned. When one does pop up I can't recall it's syntax properly. I currently have two browser windows open, one for the current lesson and the other to go back and find the syntax of a given code when it does pop up in the lessons.

Also at times the code I've created will not be correct, but what the course is listening for is met so it let's me move on. In some cases, that's alright, but in others, I am unable to find the correct answer in the forum so I'm forced to move on without the understanding the lesson is meant to provide.

nothing is stopping you from practicing freely with loops?

I guess I expected it to be within the course that is teaching me the skill. Have me practice it instead of having me update a single number and saying "congratulations, you've mastered it!" and then expect me to be able to recall the syntax properly when I'm in a lesson down the road about a different subject like arrays.

nothing is stopping you from practicing freely with loops?

These are the types of comments that are riddled throughout the forum. Short jabs at your clientele. Minimal help/support paired with a side serving of attitude.

but mastering the loop skill would mean the course would needs to be 10x the size its currently is. If not more.

Passing exercise shouldn't be seen as mastering. You understand a concept.

There are sites (like codewars) where you can practice, codecademy isn't a mighty one in all solution.

Remembering syntax is pointless, if programming was about remembering syntax, computers would have done a better job of programming a decade ago.

We have documentation (MDN is really good for Javascript) for syntax refreshers.

Don't worry. I'm in the same boat. Totally new to this and didn't realise how little practise there would be in a beginners course before moving on to new concepts.Of course it's a free or inexpensive course so I'm not really going to complain too much.

It's good someone has suggested another program where you can practise as I would have no idea where to look, not being from the IT field, but just a humble Primary School teacher (Elementary School).

I have found most people commenting on the advice forums to be helpful and friendly. For those who are not and get frustrated with the questions of beginners and users who are not particularly tech savvy, but willing to practise and learn, I suggest thinking about a subject you struggled in at school. Maybe it was creative writing or sport. Maybe you had to work really hard on social skills and interacting with others in group tasks. Think how you liked to be advised when you were having trouble with a subject and how it feelt when you found something hard that other students found easy or at least learnt much quicker than you. Maybe you got frustrated when other kids rolled there eyes when you still couldn't catch a ball by age 9 and they had being doing it since age 5. Maybe you got frustrated with your teachers when they insisted you write a page long fictional story and you both couldn't see the point of creative writing or think of any good ideas.

Those looking for coding advice are not people who have decided coding is stupid and irrelevant and given up. We're like the kids who struggled in certain subjects at school but kept doing our best and appreciated extra help without a side-serve of being patronised or mocked.

Instead of taking someone saying "I feel like I've missed something..." with the same offense as someone burning your house down, value the input, find out why they feel that way, and how you (representing the company) can improve on the experience in the future. All I'm looking for is the same treatment as lessons prior to "for loops" where you practice physically writing the entire code snippet while the program is checking you're doing it correctly before you are asked to use it in an exercise several lessons down the road.

I've offered valuable input as someone who is using the service you (the company) are providing. I've offered this as a new user green to the subject and not as someone who already has a great deal of experience with the given subject being taught. People like myself are your target market. Take my input and build from it. Or at the very least, humor your clients with a canned statement like "thanks for the feedback."

If unprofessional sarcastic remarks and generally less than helpful support were something I were looking for I would've posted something to Stackoverflow.

For others, you can practice in Google Chrome by opening a new tab or window and hitting F12. A friend showed me that handy trick.

@heatherec Glad I'm not the only one. :slight_smile: I think you hit the nail on the head.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.