Anyone can help me?

I want to make insertion sorting algorithm that user can type elements. But I have error in line 4. Anyone can help me?

List = []
a = (raw_input("Enter your each element one by one(when the last element typed, press enter):"))
while a != " ":
	List.append([a])
	if a == " ":
		break
def insertion_sort(list):
    for index in range(1,len(list)):
        value=list[index]
        i=index -1
        while i>=0:
            if value<list[i]:
                list[i+1]= list[i]
                list[i]=value
                i=i-1
            else:
                break
print insertion_sort(list)

In the while loop you need to use raw_input to get new value of a. And you do not have to use break, you already specified condition for the while loop:

List = []
a = (raw_input("Enter your each element one by one(when the last element typed, press enter):"))
while a != "":
	List.append([a])
	a = raw_input()

You have created variable called List, but in the function call you use list, this is a major problem:

print insertion_sort(List)

Your function is not correct, but you should be able to correct it without our help.

you have a infinity loop. you could simply do this:

List = []
a = str(raw_input("Enter your each element one by one(when the last element typed, press enter):"))
while a != "":
   List.append(a)
   a = str(raw_input("Enter your each element one by one(when the last element typed, press enter):"))

you have to re-prompt in every run of the loop, raw_input stores as uni-code, so you might want to cast to string, are you sure you want to append a list into your List? this is what you did? No need for the if condition, the loop condition will simply evaluate to false

Thank you for replying!! I know it is out of my ability, but I had to do this because of my school exam.... I will practice more and more about Python and try to correct code myself :smile:

Thank you for your replying!
I feel so relieved that my if condition was almost correct!

List = []
while a != "":
   List.extend(a)

def insertion_sort(List):
    for index in range(1,len(List)):
        value=List[index]
        i=index -1
        while i>=0:
            if value<List[i]:
                List[i+1]= List[i]
                List[i]=value
                i=i-1
            else:
                break

I corrected my code, but output is "None" instead of sorted list....

Your function does not return (that's a hint) anything :slight_smile:

What should I return.....??:cry: should I return function??

your function sorts the list, so you should return the list after the sorting is complete

Definitely not, you made some changes to the List in the body of the function, right? So return the modified List.

Add this line at the end of the function (after the for loop, not inside the loop):

return List

List = []
while a != "":
List.extend(a)

def insertion_sort(List):
for index in range(1,len(List)):
value=List[index]
i=index -1
while i>=0:
if value<List[i]:
List[i+1]= List[i]
List[i]=value
i=i-1
else:
break
return List

This code works strangely.... I put 1,34,12, output should be [1,12,34]but It print ['1','1','2','3','4']......I'm sorry for making mistakes....

ah, you want to have lists in the numbers. in that case, i recommend casting the input to integers using int() rather then str()

you must realize, that raw_input has no clue of the data type you enter, so it stores as unicode by default, if you need a different data type, you nneed to do casting

But it makes error if I type 2 elements....

Use append, just like in the previous version of your code (why you changed this?). Cast a to int only when you are sure that it's not an empty string.

List = []
a = raw_input("Enter your each element one by one(when the last element typed, press enter):")
while a != "":
   List.append(int(a))
   a = raw_input("Enter your each element one by one(when the last element typed, press enter):")

You should now add an if construction to check if a is really an integer.

How kind of you!! I'm so appreciate your explanation and coding ability! i'm so happy that I wouldn't stay up all night because of this and I will get bonus point! Thank you:joy:

You're welcome :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.