Anti_vowel (text)

<PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING TEMPLATE TO HELP YOU CREATE A GREAT POST!>

<Below this line, add a link to the EXACT exercise that you are stuck at.>

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python/lessons/practice-makes-perfect/exercises/antivowel?action=lesson_resume&link_content_target=interstitial_lesson
<In what way does your code behave incorrectly? Include ALL error messages.>
It doesn’t stop compiling.
<What do you expect to happen instead?>
I think that the code should run or at least give me an error.

def anti_vowel(text):
    result = []
    a = len(text)-1
    b=1
    while b <= a:
      if (text[b]!= 'a' and text[b]!='a'and text[b]!='e'and text[b]!='E'and text[b]!='i'and text[b]!='I' and text[b]!='o' and text[b]!='O' and text[b]!='u'and text[b]!='U'):
        result.append(text[b])
        b = b+1
    return "".join(result)

b is only increased by one when text[b] is a vowel, but b should be increased in all cases, otherwise the loop will never evaluate to false

you have what is known as in a infinity loop

def anti_vowel(text):
    result = []
    a = len(text)-1
    b=1
    while b <= a:
      b = b+1
      if (text[b]!= 'a' and text[b]!='a'and text[b]!='e'and text[b]!='E'and text[b]!='i'and text[b]!='I' and text[b]!='o' and text[b]!='O' and text[b]!='u'and text[b]!='U'):
        result.append(text[b])

return "".join(result)

I tried this and it didn’t work.

you can’t increase b before the if condition. This means the first letter will be skipped, it `b has to be after and outside the if clause

in your case, the first two letters are currently skipped because b has an initial value of 1, while strings indexes start at zero

Thank you it worked

def anti_vowel(text):
result = []
a = len(text)-1
b=0
while b <= a:
if (text[b]!= ‘a’ and text[b]!='A’and text[b]!='e’and text[b]!='E’and text[b]!='i’and text[b]!=‘I’ and text[b]!=‘o’ and text[b]!=‘O’ and text[b]!='u’and text[b]!=‘U’):
result.append(text[b])
b = b+1

return "".join(result)

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.