Anti_Vowel (Help please)

When run the error says only H is returned from "Hey Look Words!"

I don't understand why it only spits out the first letter.

def anti_vowel(text):
    for i in range(0, len(text) - 1): 
        n = ""
        vowels = ["aeiouAEIOU"]

for j in range(len(vowels) - 1):  
            if text[i] != vowels[j]:
                j += 1
                del text[i]

else:
            n = n + text[i]
        return n

When it comes to programming and well in fact most things. Simplicity is the best option.

There is no need for two for loops, a del statement, and two variables, an if != statement and an integer in the appending and for loops.

def anti_vowel(text):
    n = " "
    for i in (text): 
        if i not in "aeiouAEIOU":
            n += i
    return n
print(anti_vowel("Aeiou aeiou hello"))

Simply put.

If you need any further explanation about the code above, feel free to ask. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your help. I know simplicity is better I just haven't seen the "not in " part ever used so I kinda had to a take more complex route. So "not in" just takes the place of my second for loop basically?

Well no not exactly the two for loops are still independent but when writing bigger functions or programs minimalism is key.

I think this one is the fastest solution - guys on old forums propose much more complex code when in fact it's only 5 lines

def anti_vowel(text):
    for c in text:
        if c in "aeiuoAEIUO":
            text = text.replace(c, "")
    return text

I believe your program is only returning the first letter because your return n line is inside of your for loop. I did this myself when I was just going through the problem.

It seems others have focused on alternate solutions, but I figured I would point out the reason why your code was returning only that single character.

I am getting following error though output does not have vowels and it prints Hy lk Wrds! . i tried it on local python and on codeacademy. i am frustrated as same thing happened in case of REVERSE order. it did print !nohtyP correctly

Oops, try again. Your function fails on anti_vowel("Hey look Words!"). It returns "None" when it should return "Hy lk Wrds!".

What version of python are you using?

SOLVED! i was printing in function instead of returning value. thank for suggestion.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.