An object review (side question)

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/objects-ii/0/1?curriculum_id=506324b3a7dffd00020bf661

I know how to pass this exercise, but I was playing with it more for better understanding and I came across a question. Why doesn't this console.log that I've added print correctly. Why does it only work when noted as console.log(this.job); Shouldn't gabby be defined by the time the function is called?

function Person(job, married) {
    this.job = job;
    this.married = married;
    console.log(gabby.job);
}

// create a "gabby" object using the Person constructor!
var gabby = new Person("student", true);

When I this code.

this.job = job;
    this.married = married;
    console.log(gabby.job);
}

It prints student to the console. Is this not what you were trying to achieve?

For some reason I get: "TypeError: Cannot read property 'job' of undefined". Even when copying your code over mine. But again when I change it to this it works fine and displays student.

this.job = job;
    this.married = married;
    console.log(this.job);
}

We would never hard code an instance name in a constructor. Use the context variable, this.

I understand that it is extremely bad practice, my confusion is that fact that it worked?

It worked because the instance was already defined. Don't create the instance (refresh the page to clear the cache) and run it again. Should raise a exception.

As always @mtf I thank you. This really confused me and I was researching trying to find out why that had worked so I could explain.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.