An easier way to find the forum?

When I go to the code-academy website I don’t find any link to the forum anywhere.
For the longest time I didn’t even know that you guys had one…
The way I found it the first time was searching for something else I think (IRC channel?), anyway, these days I still use google to find this forums.
So perhaps adding a button somewhere on the main page of the website linking here would be great.
Perhaps something in or close to the row of social media links?

2 Likes

You can find it at the bottom of every lesson by clicking the button marked “Q&A Forum” right next to the “Glossary” button. I hope this helps. :+1:

2 Likes

I think another social icon, maybe something like the comment blurb thing in the formatting bar of this writer thing, beside the rest of the social icons would be a good idea too, since these forums aren’t just about helping people with exercises, there’s a social aspect now too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow, I didn’t even see those till you pointed them out to me…
So, thanks I guess.
But no, they’re not really helping.
They don’t stand out in any way whatsoever.
They’re not even written in bold, and there’s plenty of other blue text there.
Also, people are different, but for those who are like me they’re busy with actually doing the tasks when they’re on those pages.
They don’t see anything other then the task at hand so any links at all on the same page like an attention grabber like the tasks is pretty much wasted on people like me.
Such a small link like that is what’s usually used on websites to show things like the “about us” or “contact details”, not the important stuff that everyday users might make use of.
So even if I was the type that didn’t go blind to anything I’m not focusing on I’d still easily miss those links.
In really old days it might have been that kind of links on the left hand side of the screen.
These days however it’s normal that major features like that is at the top of the page like say next to “Code Academy” or perhaps “All courses” over in https://www.codecademy.com/learn/all
It’s not really helpful to hide them this way if you want your users to actually make use of them.

For instance, I’m fairly sure that when you compare your forum usage data to the site usage data that you’ll find that only a tiny part of your users actually use the forums.
Now, if you added a more visible button you’d probably find that those user numbers on the forums would jump right up, for better and worse.
As it is, since people haven’t even been made aware of it’s existence in a more prominent part of the site they wouldn’t even think to look for it before doing other things like say leaving the site and using google.
If you want to foster a healthy community here that might be somewhat counter productive…

3 Likes

That’s a good suggestion, and we’ll look into seeing if any changes can be made.

Thanks. =)
I appreciate that.
I think the links on the task site is the right size and shouldn’t be too obvious, or if they are they should be a bit out of the way so they don’t draw attention from the task at hand.
But you should make people aware of the forum before hand somewhere else if you want to use low key buttons like that as they require people actively looking for them (and therefore to know about the forum to being with) to be of any use.

I think making access to the forums easier is a good idea. Every day I have trouble getting to this forum.

1 Like

I see that you’ve added the forum to the drop down menu for our profile when logged in, that’s great and has probably already helped several users find these forums. =)
Did that button change the popularity of the forums? =)

2 Likes