[AMA] How do you see Codecademy's curriculum evolving over the next few years?

ama-24-march-17

Hi Everyone :slight_smile:

I was just wondering if you could share a little bit about how you see Codecademy's curriculum evolving over the next few years.

At the moment, the current curriculum covers a wide range of programming languages & development tools. This is perfect for people just starting out with coding and those looking to try something new. However, once you've completed those courses there's the big question of where to go next.

Do you think Codecademy should keep adding new languages to the curriculum, or should Codecademy start to look at introducing intermediate or advanced courses in those languages you already offer?

Many thanks for taking time out for this AMA :slight_smile:

Codecademy AMA: March 24 2017

Hey Phil!

Your question in the title (how will it change) switches to how should it change in the post. I'll give my opinion on the first :slight_smile:

Disclaimer: These are my expectations, and I am a volunteer moderator, not a staff member. This post means nothing about Codecademy's actual plans, so please don't take this as official news.

I'm expecting Codecademy to continue beefing up Pro resources, possibly bringing out a lot more extended versions of courses, such as the current React Part 1/2 series. I'm also expecting Codecademy to stay largely with web-related languages, and not C or Java and other such languages as much as some people might hope.

Staff probably don't want to give away their future plans too much though, so I'm not going to try to check that - it's all just a hypothesis ยฏ\_(ใƒ„)_/ยฏ

Ah, Phil Pickering! Great to see you here and you would be the one to throw in the Big Question.

I'm not @ryan or @zsims or someone who'd call the shots here, but here's my 2ยข for what it's worth!

Codecademy's mission is to teach people the skills they need to find jobs. When thinking about how we may evolve going forward, that's the biggest thing I'd keep in mind. Follow-up questions would be "what are the gaps between what we teach and people finding jobs" and "what types of jobs are we training people to get." When we're thinking about how we move forward, those are the things we have foremost in mind. You mentioned this yourself, with saying "once you've completed those courses there's the big question of where to go next" - this is something that we can not only answer through things like AMAs and blog posts, but through our platform itself. Projects are a big part of that agenda, but there's more that we can do.

This is all a roundabout way to say that more advanced courses that go deeper into technologies will have to be on the agenda, not necessarily because they are "necessary" to get jobs, but because at the very least they'll help people to feel more prepared to find jobs. There are a plethora of languages out there but there's a relatively small subset of those that are more useful in terms of getting a job, and particularly in getting a job in fields in which we're strong - web development. We're likely to focus on those before making a much broader library of content, although a broader library would be helpful too.

I know this is a way of answering your question without really answering your question but I hope it helps give a sense of how we're thinking here.

Actually Daniel that really does answer my question, so thanks very much for sharing your thoughts :slight_smile:

I know it's not easy to go into specific details or projected timelines, but your answer hints at the general direction with a great explanation about what are the main driving forces behind curriculum decisions.

And personally, I'm very excited to see how Codecademy will take on that challenge of closing the gap between learning how to code and landing a job in the tech industry :slight_smile: