Also Was Stuck on number 1.request/response cycle

More information needs to be given on what a gem is.
More instruction is needed on how to install a gem.
I read an early message of someone having the exact same problem.
Another user said to enter "bundle install" in the terminal.
Here is a problem. The end of the rails new command shows "run bundle install".
If the script knows that bundle install needs run why doesn't it do it?
Why is "Gemfile" in bold? Apparently it isn't needed anywhere.
Couldn't the instruction simply say: "Install the gems in Gemfile by entering bundle install in the terminal."?

Hi @netwhiz82558,

More information needs to be given on what a gem is.
More instruction is needed on how to install a gem.

I don't know how much information is given right now, so I don't have an opinion on that.

The end of the rails new command shows "run bundle install".
If the script knows that bundle install needs run why doesn't it do it?

It does. The reason it says ”run bundle install“ is because that's what it's doing right then (which is also why it hangs for a few seconds there).

I'm not sure why the instructions say to run bundle install again, though - maybe they just want to make absolutely sure that you've installed all the Gems, or that you know you'll need to do this in the real world a fair amount ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why is "Gemfile" in bold? Apparently it isn't needed anywhere.

Nonono! The Gemfile is very important if you want Rails to continue working. Do not delete it.

That said, I'm not sure why it's in bold, or what you're talking about - could you post a link to the exercise you're on so I can see?

Couldn't the instruction simply say: "Install the gems in Gemfile by entering bundle install in the terminal."?

I don't know what the current instructions say, but think I agree with you that - unless they're trying to make sure you're remembering how to do stuff they've taught you before - that would be a good idea. It might get changed if one or two more people also get hung up on this step because of that.

I do have an opinion on your statement, but won't tell you what it is.

I went through the whole process again. In lesson one instruction 1 a new Rails app is created. At the end of the creation is does NOT show "run bundle install". Instruction two says: 2. Then run "$ bundle install". It doesn't say why. At the beginning of lesson two it explains what each of the commands do.

In lesson three I let it sit for five minutes and nothing happened. I HAD to run the "bundle install" command. But I didn't know what that command did in lesson one and forgotten review from lesson two.

I searched the forum here as well as forums on other sites. It seems like someone has gotten stuck on this lesson every month for the last nine months.

I have studied Python, AngularJS, and Ruby on Codecademy. As a professional developer for over twenty years the lessons were painfully slow. I know the courses are designed for someone with no experience, which I commend. After going through three courses which seem to go to extreme detail and repetition to a course which skims important information, I felt lost and frustrated. It doesn't even offer tips like in the other courses.

I believe lesson one needs changing to describe WHY the commands are entered. Something like:

1. Let's get started by making a Rails app for a personal website. We'll explain each step in the next exercise. In the terminal, type:
    $ rails new MySite

2. Every time a new Rails app is created the software packages called gems need to be installed. So run:
    $ bundle install

I really just want a better experience for the users who take the course later.

In lesson one instruction 1 a new Rails app is created. At the end of the creation is does NOT show "run bundle install". Instruction two says: 2. Then run "$ bundle install". It doesn't say why. At the beginning of lesson two it explains what each of the commands do.

Yes, this is how Codecademy courses have begun doing things. I'm wish they would explain commands before having you use them, but at least they're explaining the commands. I think a few requests to change this have been filed, I'm not sure if Staff has responded to them, though.

In lesson three I let it sit for five minutes and nothing happened. I HAD to run the "bundle install" command

I've had this problem a few times, but it usually snaps out of it and ends the script after about thirty seconds to a minute.

But I didn't know what that command did in lesson one and forgotten review from lesson two.

If you forgot a review from one lesson ago, how would putting it a lesson earlier help? I think the problem here has less to do with Codecademy's teaching style than you're trying to say.

I searched the forum here as well as forums on other sites. It seems like someone has gotten stuck on this lesson every month for the last nine months

You're thorough! Thanks for checking around to find how often people are getting stuck here :slight_smile:

Overall, one person a month isn't worth submitting a fix right now - Codecademy's staff is busy working on/reviewing changes that hold up far more people per month, and since they have to review any changes we submit, it's best for us to just help one person a month here on Discuss, in my opinion.

I believe lesson one needs changing to describe WHY the commands are entered

I agree, that would be nice :confused:

Unfortunately, Codecademy seems to think most of it's users like or will benefit more from their current style, so there's nothing we can do about it right now besides getting enough users to fuss at them for it that they change the teaching style - and that would take a lot of learners :confused:

A post was split to a new topic: Where to type rails new, need help

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.