Already December...any goals?

Helloooo :nerd_face:

I can’t believe it’s already December. It’s just crazy. Insane.
I achieved a lot of things in November, coding-related and non-coding related. How about you guys?

And since the last month of 2020 already started, what are some goals you want to accomplish before the year ends?

I want to (and I have to…more like, there’s no way I don’t do it) finish a personal coding project I’ve been working on. That project has taught me a lot about consistency and working hard…and I’m so excited to get a big break after I finish it :smiley:
I also want to finish the Designing Databases with PostgreSQL skill path and make some pretty notes about the things I learn :upside_down_face:

I have a few other personal goals, but let’s leave it there for me :slightly_smiling_face:
What are your goals?

4 Likes

My main goal for the rest of the year (and hopefully years to come) is to get more involved in open source collaboration. As a first step, I recently joined my local Code for America brigade so I can start working on something meaningful. For me it’s important to work on projects that either 1) I genuinely enjoy; or 2) have greater purpose/impact. When a project doesn’t fall into either of those categories, I tend to drag it out far too long :sweat_smile:

For anyone in the community who lives in the U.S., I highly encourage you to take a look and see if there’s a Code for America brigade in your city or state and see if the projects they are working on spark any interest for you. Collaboration with others is essential for building your skills as a developer and it’s something I wish I had done earlier in my coding journey.

Plus, you don’t really learn git until you work with other people and have a few minor panic attacks when you accidentally commit a secret key, push to the wrong branch or delete the wrong code resolving a merge conflict :joy:

3 Likes

I’d like to get up to NLP on the DS path, or, near where I had been before (linear regression). I also want to check out the PostgreSQL path b/c of the data involved (MLB! My favorite). :nerd_face: :baseball:

Non-coding related…I’d like to start some more crocheting projects and possibly bake a few kinds of Christmas cookies. I ran for the first time since March this past weekend and I need to re-incorporate it back into my weekly schedule. I missed it so much.

2 Likes

NLP made me abandon the Chatbots skill path…my brain was so freaking confused :confounded:
I think I should give it another try though…maybe next year :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My goal for the month is to make a couple friends I can talk with about learning coding! I don’t even care to talk in detail about the specific tech, just people to learn along side with. I’d love to have an accountability partner and someone to share the ups and downs with.

1 Like

Oh that sounds great, I barely fit in anywhere so it’s kinda hard for me to make friends lol.

But anyways, welcome to the community! I’m sure you’ll find tons of great people here, wish you the best of luck! :smiley_cat:

My goal is to make more time to continue learning python so I can start making my own projects. I have been quite busy with school and other activities, so I need to find a way to leave time for coding. :sweat_smile:
Non-coding related, I do like to learn how to draw and paint better.

1 Like