About the Portfolio Project: Reddit Project category

Hi everyone, I am 54% of the way through the ‘Full Stack Engineer Path’ and have been working on this Reddit Client project for the last 2.5 weeks.

I designed a custom README.md and included state management unit tests, and am happy with how the project has turned out. I would appreciate any feedback on this project :slight_smile: :+1: :slight_smile:

GitHub source code: GitHub - chris-larham-1983/reddit-client
GitHub Pages: Reddit Client
Surge deployment: https://codecademy-reddit-client.surge.sh

Hi @yanniks, I think your project looks very professional :+1:

I’m impressed by the thoroughness of your unit, integration, and E2E testing. I wrote unit tests that checked the functionality of the App’s state management, but I haven’t included integration testing yet. I have starred your repository on GitHub so I can get some tips on integration testing when I come back to this project in the future.

Thanks for sharing your code :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey guys. I just finished the Reddit Client portfolio project, but there’s still a few annoying bugs I would like some help with. If anyone’s interested in lending a hand, they can find more info here: Issues · DavyK17/fgc-reddit · GitHub

Repository: https://github.com/DavyK17/fgc-reddit
Live link: https://fgc-reddit.netlify.app/

Hello everyone.
It feels like yesterday that I reached this project and was completely lost on how to do it. I didn’t know where to begin and what to do.
I had only followed Codecademy and didn’t study any other resources.
I even asked the people posting their project samples here, on how they managed to build it at all and what were their resources.
Some nice people answered and encouraged me to continue and pointed me towards those resources.
You can find the discussion here.

It has been more than one and a half month since then.
And I practiced.
Practiced. Practiced. Practiced.
I started very small. Building Todo apps and moving towards more complex stuff.
I searched the web, watched YouTube videos, and most importantly started to code myself.
And when I came upon some problem in my code that I couldn’t find the solution, I searched the web and most importantly asked in Stack Overflow.
Soon I was able to understand what is going on in React and then Redux and then even got a better understanding of JavaScript. Learned some interesting stuff along the way as well.

I did a lot of personal projects and with each one I got more comfortable with the environment of React/Redux.
One app that I recently built and am mostly proud of is this Spotify App, called Repotify, that fetches the top tracks of the artist you search from the Spotify API and lets you play a preview of them.

And now I have finally managed to do and finish the Reddit Client.

Repository: Reddix - GitHub Repository
Live App: Reddix

Your projects might not be perfect, just like mine isn’t perfect. But it achieves a greater purpose:
Showing how much you’ve learned and achieved and how far you’ve come since you began writing your first line of code.
You built it and it works.
No one can take that feeling away from you.

I want to say to those who sometimes feel lost and frustrated, to KEEP GOING.
Whenever you get frustrated just look back and reflect how much you have achieved since you started this journey.
Don’t lost your faith.
You can be the greatest programmer on the planet and still not know everything. Which is totally fine.
If you don’t totally understand a concept, search and practice and just repeat that.

I’m sorry that this turned out to be a long reading.
I hope everyone who is on this amazing path, achieve the best thing they’re looking for.
Believe in yourself.
YOU CAN DO IT.

6 Likes

Hey everyone!
I have finally finished my version of this project! Redux definitely gave me some trouble in understanding it, especially when I got to the thunks and all the async logic. I have also decided to implement React Router V6, which added another layer of challenge. Nevertheless, it is done, it is far from perfect, there is a lot of room for many improvements, but I definitely have a little better understanding of Redux and Redux Toolkit now.
I would appreciate any feedback, both positive and negative.
Here is the live demo: RedditMini
And here is the source code: GitHub
Thank you all and good luck to you as well! :slight_smile:

Great job! I admire that you used all the tools the module taught us, truly applying the redux toolkit. Great work and it helped me figure stuff out. All the best and thank you for posting this!

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I spent quite a while on this project but I wanted to do it as well as possible. I added as much functionality as I thought was necessary for a decent Reddit experience. I must say I started off writing tests but as the project went on I stopped, not the best TDD practices but I got a taster. Accessibility could also do with some work and I could have definitely broken the site down into smaller components but at this point, I feel moving on and saving that for another time would be the best idea. If anyone has any feedback or would like to contribute in any way feel free.

Readit4Reddit
Source Code

Hope you like it, can help give inspiration or helps you in general.

Aidan.

4 Likes

really amazing Aidan, well done!

1 Like

Hello :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:
Thanks to quarantine I was able to finish Reddit Client project.
It took me last two weeks.
Thanks to this project I practiced a lot and now I feel much more skilled with React than before.

Here is my Code.
Here is app on netlify: App

It would be very nice if you gave some feedback. :hugs:

And here is rearranged Code with redux store implementation.
:partying_face:

Hello! Here is a link to my repository: Reddit Viewer.
It was a fun experience to build the app, and it took me about a week. I used the “JSONVue” Chrome extension to move through the JSON files efficiently, and it was very helpful.

I hope you have fun building your project! Here is a link to the live demo: Reddit Viewer Live Demo.

Hey!!!
Here is my take on this Reddit project. Really appreciate any feedback and review!
Live demo: https://miniredditbyjm.netlify.app/
Repo: GitHub - bimbabum/mini-reddit: A mini reddit web app

I’ve been working on it for a while. Obviously it needs a lot of improvement, but I’m quite satisfied with all the current features so far.

1 Like

To clarify, this project uses the “ProgrammerHumor” subreddit for the content.

I was about to start this project but create-react-app has broken because of a new update to one of reacts test library’s.

Amazing luck on my side!

Hy!
I finished this project in about a week. Used lot of ideas from previous projects in some cases even some exact code snippets hope that doesn’t consider cheating :D.
Repo: GitHub - koriscs/reddit-portfolio: Making a Reddit app for CodeCademy Project
Live-demo:https://reddit-portfolio.netlify.app/

I would ask 1 question though!

I don’t get why is it easier or better to test, then just click and see if the fucntion or display works? If i could test in general and “click” things i would normally forget then it would be cool but as how i see testing i make the test “do” something then expect a result … and nothing randomness in it .Which means i can only test the things that come to my mind anyway and not the things that skips my thoughts.
Thank you for any help!

Is anyone else having major issues with incompatibility between enzyme and the latest react? I’m finding it really challenging just to get a test suite working.

Have a lovely day! :sunny:

Great work! I found you make a very creative approach to the project.

HI!, very nice approach, crisp and clear!

Netlify Live Updated: https://just-reddit.netlify.app/

Nice work! I found that your solution is aligned with your requirements. Congrats!