About the Portfolio Project: Mixed Messages category

Hi everyone!

I just finished the mixed messages portfolio. I really had fun doing this one. Watching every other project seems like I did it quite differently but at least I got it right. Well, mine is about a fortune teller who says ‘How will you die’, I got really creative there. Hope you like it :slight_smile:.

My Mixed Messages Repo

Any feedback would be nice. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @rebeccaeng3706049794!

I really liked yours! Actually, we did it pretty similarly. I also used fairy tale creatures and places.

I checked your code and you can actually make your randomMessage function shorter, as you are doing just an operation. Remember that we can tell what to return by getting rid of the brackets. Try this:

const randomMessage = (array) => array[Math.floor(Math.random() * array.length)];

Don’t forget to check out mine. I would love your feedback.

Wow! Very good job @antoinepoujaud467445!

As well, I didn’t use an object at first but seeing everyone else’s I thought it could be a nice implementation. Never the less, I think yours is very concise. Not a lot of lines put in and it works fine. Unfortunately, I don’t speak French, so I couldn’t understand the messages. It would be cool if you changed it so we could understand.

Speaking of being concise, there is a way that to make your chooseRandomMessagePart function in a single line. Check the MDN Arrow Function documentation and tell me if you can figure it out by your own.

Don’t forget to check out my repository too. I would love your feedback.

This is my message system.
Nothing flash, have kept the code simple.

Hello @didash and thx for your feedback!

I tried your fortune teller script it is very cool and fun you have been pretty creative.
Just be careful with your randomNumber function because you create a variable “max” and give it a value of 12. But each of your “randomData” contains 12 elements and an array start at 0. So you’ll have an undefined value if your randomNumber equals 12. :slight_smile:

About your suggestion about my chooseRandomMessagePart function, you’re right but sometimes, when it’s a little complicated mathematical operation I prefer to clearly separate my code so it will be more readable (at least for me ^^)

Thanks again for your feedback :wink:

Hey everyone!

Here’s a link to my Mixed Messages Project in GitHub: GitHub - frivolousvision/git_practice

Taking a look at other individuals’ projects, I’m wondering If I went about this in the correct manner. However, it does work as hoped in the terminal via node. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

:no_mouth:

MIXED-MESSAGES PORTFOLIO PROJECT

Hello there! I finished the mixed messages portfolio project and sharing my code. Will be grateful your reviews and comments.
It took me about an hour but I had to put in much more time to streamline the code. It could be done without objects but I decided to use one to enable me practice.

Please click on the link below.

1 Like

Greetings,

I completed the Mixed Messages project. The project was fun (once getting over the over-thinking). Definitely enjoyed the working on the project. I decided to add a “greeting” and “emoji” feature. This led me to documentation reading (MDN Documentation) and google search. The most challenging portion was git and GitHub, now feeling confident with command-line and git/GitHub. Thank you!

Here’s the GitHub link:
Wise Program!

Hello!

I completed the Mixed Messages project, please see link below.

The solution I chose was quick and simple in regards to the JavaScript code, it was the CSS that took the longest! After studying JS for a while I had become a little rusty with the CSS syntax.

There is a personalised input section in my code that allows the user to input their own name instead of a stored one.

Any feedback is welcome!

Hi guys !

This is my project:

Its quite simple… hope to improve it with some html/css soon!

Hi every one,
here is my mixed message project:
Inspirational message

Hi everyone,

Here’s the link to my repo on GitHub: GitHub - dideolu/inspirational-messages

Thanks!

Hey!

Here’s the link to my project:
Toni’s MixedMessages

Well, I think I over complicated things by writing each component of the randomized message in a separate file :sweat_smile:

By looking at other solutions I see how making arrays of little phrases would’ve been better to have messages that actually made sense. Anyway, some of my messages don’t make much sense, but every now and then you can get a piece of weird wisdom :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Any feedback is appreciated. Let me know if you need some help with your code!

Cheers!

Hey people,
Here’s my Mixed Messages project.
It’s my first time posting, so let me know what you think!

I don’t know about you lot, but I’m seriously missing live music at the moment.
So I decided that the purpose of my random word generator should be to string together a lineup for a Hip Hop night.

:level_slider: :control_knobs: :microphone:

1 Like

Hey all! Would love to share my code for Mixed Messages and receive any feedback that you might have.

Check out my repo here

Cheers!
-Benji

Hi @nathan_brokenfaders!

I like your idea of a Lineup Generator here.

A couple things:

1. When I tried to run the program locally, my terminal threw an error:
    Error: Cannot find module
    I was able to resolve this by removing the curly braces that wrapped around your const variables and your generateLineup function.
  2. After the error was resolved, I noticed that the program did not actually output anything to the terminal, so I wrapped your generateLineup function call with a console.log. It might be a good idea to include this in your program in your function declaration. Instead of return lineUp; try console.log(lineUp); since your program doesn’t actually require that you return anything here.

Cheers!
-Benji
@_apriori_shift

Nice! I like how concise your solution is. But I think it would still be a good idea to add at least some function header comments to title what your function does.

Best Regards,
Hector

Hi all! Heres my version of the MixedMessages project, any feedback is welcomed. Thanks!

Thanks @didash,
I reviewed your code and it’s very clean. I’m a newbie, and I have a question about something I saw in your code that I don’t understand. In your getRandom function, you included .toLowerCase for your group - I understand that it makes everything lower case, but I am not sure why you used it there. Can you explain your thinking to me? I wouldn’t have thought to include it, so its got me wondering what else I might be excluding when I should be including. Thx!

1 Like