About python dictionaries

python

Hello guys, I have been working with a python- project for a few days, and now I got this problem. I have just slightly python- experience outside Codecademy, so I don't know about the syntax in the newest Python versions. Anyways, is it in effect possible to DEFINE un-string variables inside dictionaries? My editor tells me about undefined variables, so do I have to define them before this? Also even the names of the dictionaries must be defined.... What to do?

Variation based on my current code:

dictionary == {
variable: 31,
another_one: 39,
third_one: 46,
}

print dictionary.keys()

Does the older python version (that I learned in Codecademy :unamused:) approve this? Do I have to give earlier values to the variables? Looking for answers to this.

but you can simply make the keys strings, and not variables?

dictionary = {
  "string": 32,
}

also, declaring a dictionary requires a single equal sign, not two equal signs (that is for comparison)

So I can declare them only as strings?
I don't know the exact python version but it gives me a syntax error about one equal sign AND if the name of the dictionary is not a string. :neutral_face: Strange a bit

you can use variables, but you do need to define the variable beforehand. depending on what you use it for, strings might be easier.

I don't know what you did, but a double equal sign looks really wrong

It looks wrong on my eye, too but my current python version (not the newest one) requires it.

if you run the latest version python, how can you possible use print without parentheses? already since python3 print requires parentheses:

variable = "variable"
another_one ="another_one"
third_one = "third_one"
dictionary = {
variable: 31,
another_one: 39,
third_one: 46,
}

print(dictionary.keys())

As I said, the version that I use is not the newest one. But thanks for help anyway, I think that I understood it. :slight_smile:
Thank you.

i read that wrong then, so you get it now?

Yep, so I can give values to the variables that have an earlier value. Thank you for help, anyway.

yea, or use strings as keys directly:

dictionary = {
  "test": "test",
  5: 5,
}

integers are also valid keys. Using undefined variable is not possible.